cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with item dragged off all programes list to desktop

N/A

Hi all,
Posting a request for help on behalf of my brother, he managed to drag Microsoft Word out of the Microsoft Office folder in the all programmes list in WIN xp pro sp2 on to the desktop but cannot find a way of replacing it. I thought this would be simple, but I too cannot find a way, something tells me this is easy if you know how, could someone enlighten us on how this is done.
Thanks in advance,
Regards
Doug
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You should just be able to drag it back.

Left click and hold, drag it to the “Start” button, then up to “All Programs” and on to where you wish to place it. Then release.

Chilly
N/A

Thanks Chilly,
sometimes the obvious is staring you in the face. I thought we had both tried that, but of course you are right, it just seemed to take along time to open up the list, etc, it is an old machine with a lot on it , presumably we were too impatient before.
Thanks for the swift response and solving the problem.
Regards
Doug
N/A

If you are doing any big jobs in the start menu such as changing file names, moving them around and creating folders etc, there is a real easy way to modify the start menu.

Simply go to "Start" at the bottom of the screen, then highlight "All Programs", it will open automatically but ignore this and dont navigate into the menu. Right-Click on the text "All Programs" and select "Explore" - This will produce the Start Menu Folders making it a hell of a lot easier to change things.

Good on old computers aswell, I often find quick mice also cause alot of issues when trying to move files etc.

Also dont forget to tell your brother if he wants a Shortcut on his Desktop from any icon (in the Start Menu or anywhere else) the easiest way to do this is by Right-Clicking on the icon - navigate to "Send To >" - and select "Desktop (create shortcut)"