cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with electrical earthing?

N/A

I have a small plastic comms cabinet which I intend to house my wifi, dect and switch in. Now, the power strip that goes with the cabinet has an earthing screw protruding from it, as does the UTP patch panel - but with the cabinet being plastic, there is nowhere to attach these earths to?

Is it OK not to earth them? and if not, where should I attach the earth leads?

3 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

I take it the "power strip" is a row of standard mains sockets, yes? If so then these should be earthed via the main plug. The earth stud you refer to will be connected direct to the mains earth.

Your routers etc are presumably running from their own individual power supplies plugged in to the strip. If so then you don't need to connect anything to the earth stud. It should be just the same as powering everything from an ordinary extension lead.

The earth stud was probably there for shielding purposes rather than safety in its original application, so you don't need to use it.

Denzil
N/A

Yes you are correct - cheers for that Denzil Cheesy
N/A

Plastic + static electricamy with very high disharge hence the earth. Thats why you must use a wrist band for static when you open a pc