cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with choosing a graphics card please!

channel
Grafter

I am self building a system for the first time. I have most of the components sorted out but I am completely clueless about what I should be getting for a graphics card. The price range seems enormous and I don't fully understand the specs. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm not a "hardcore" gamer but I would like to run The Sims 2 (and similar) with high levels of detail and at decent speed (something my existing PC can't do.) Otherwise the main uses for the PC will be office applications and video editing. I would also like to run two VGA monitors off the card (with a DVI>VGA converter if necessary) and the motherboard I am going for doesn't support PCI express.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should go for? Budget for the card is ideally less than £100 but could flex that a little if I need to.

In case it is of any use or you want to comment, the rest of the system is likely to comprise

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (Prescott) Socket 478
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe SKT478 I875 ATX
Kingston 1GB 400MHz DDR PC3200
plus a couple of hard drives.
19 REPLIES
N/A

For around 100 pounds i should get this i hear very good things about it

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=8...

P.s why did you go with the pentium 4 Huh
channel
Grafter

Thanks. I had seen that one and it was on the list of cards which seemed to do the business, so I will probably go for it.

I'd be interested to know why I might be going wrong on the Pentium 4 front? If it is an AMD vs Intel issue, then I'm not really fussed which way I go. I probably went for Intel just as a change (I've always had AMD before) and for the 3.0Ghz P4 because it seemed to give the best bang per buck (The 3.2 has quite a big incremental cost....)

Should I be looking at something other than P4?

Any advice appreciated!
N/A

What i am hearing is that the amd 64 range are better than any p4 currently. I have the 3200 amd 64 939 pin and its really good

. Plus its ready for the 64 bit computing ie xp 64 bit edition. I mean i am not super tech man on which does what better. But i am pretty sure that the amd processors are the best currently. How much was the p4
N/A

As the strong silent type I was wondering about getting this Gigabyte card
N/A

Id go for the one i surgested in the posts above. Its the same card and a bit cheaper

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=8...
N/A

Errr...no it isn't.

If you read the Ebuyer reviews you'll see the following written by John McEwen:

Just one thing if considering this card, the fan is noisy which is why I\'m knocking a star off. Better design would have been a heatpipe with a slower/quieter fan.

Hence my suggestion for the Gigabyte WITH a heatpipe!

My PC has an ultra quiet psu, cpu cooler and case fans. I'm not going to spoil it all now by sticking in a loud whiny video card.
N/A

All i said the one i surgested was cheaper nowt about how lowd it is
N/A

Just one thing if considering this card, the fan is noisy which is why I\'m knocking a star off. Better design would have been a heatpipe with a slower/quieter fan.

Excuse me nudging in here - Am I correct in thinking that you have an " Ultra quiet psu, cpu cooler and case fans"?

I'm following this thread because the specs outlined mirror mine almost, (I'm hoping to learn a few things).

My PC has an ultra quiet psu, cpu cooler and case fans. I'm not going to spoil it all now by sticking in a loud whiny video card.

I really would appreciate you posting your specs and costs of that build?
Thank you
N/A

As you can see from my sig I have a 64 bit 3000+ AMD cpu, this is in a socket 754 board. Socket 939 boards were scarce on the ground when I built this, but 939 is the way to go now..

My cpu cooler is a Zalman CNPS7700-CU 120mm Super Flower Cooler. £30 iirc. This combined with MSI CoreCenter varies the fan speed according to the load. Akasa make a couple of fans worth looking out for too - the Evo 120 (£35) and the AK913 (£22).

My power supply is a Tagan 480W. Google for reviews, lots of people like it. It's about £60. There are completely fanless psus available but these are much dearer.

I have 4 case fans - 2 in, 2 out - Akasa PaxFan Amber Series Ultra Quiet 80mm, £4 each, - 120cm fans are better but my case, an Aopen 600A doesn't support them. A Coolermaster Centurion 531 (£50) would probably be my choice for a new build. Maybe a Coolermaster Stacker if I was flush (£120).

In winter when the office is cold my PC is virtually silent, in summer it's merely quiet.

I use Dabs, Aria, Ebuyer, Savastore, Tekheads, Overclockers and Google to find the best prices.

HTH
N/A

Yes i use dabs and ebuyer great places. I have had some problems with overclockers and savstore before but probley they have sorted them selfs out.
MarkAngel
Grafter

I'd just also note with the PNY 6600GT ( I've convinced myself to buy one as well Cheesy ) is that you need a PSU of at least 350W as it uses an additional Power link.

I've read a few posts where users get "insufficient power" or words to that effect when using this card, I think especially if you have more devices plugged in. (extra, HD's CD/DVD, etc).

There are some 600W PSU's for sale on Ebuyer.com for £20 inc Vat...

M
N/A

Them psu which cost 20 quid and say there 600watt are useless. I bought a 550watt which was from ebuyer around that price. And it blew up when i was making a new machine.

There not worth geting if there that cheap
MarkAngel
Grafter

I must admit is sounded...irregular...but if you look at the reviews from people who have bought them, they all give the "Thumbs up".

M
N/A

Sound like Japanese ampliers v British ones.

My mate is convinced his 300W amp is louder than my naim 140 (70w), but I told him it's amps that matter not watts.