cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Speedtouch ADSL Router and ZoneAlarm firewall...

N/A

Can anyone help me with this problem...

I've just switched from using a USB ADSL modem to using a ADSL/Router (Speedtouch 585 using wired connections).

Initialy everything's absolutely fine (even faster downloads than the old USB modems) - but I am finding that if my PC and router are left on for an extended length of time (perhaps overnight), when I return to my PC I don't seem to be able to get access to any internet (web sites or email), or even the router's embedded HTML setup pages - just timeouts.

Through experimentation I've discovered that if I close down the ZoneAlarm personal firewall (the XP firewall reinstates itself) then all access to web resources are restored.

I suspect that I am missing something in the setup and configuration of the connection/router/ZoneAlarm - does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mark.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Zone Alarm/Program Control/Main/Automatic Lock/Custom
N/A

Zone Alarm/Program Control/Main/Automatic Lock/Custom

Thanks for the suggestion, but I turned "Automatic Lock" off a long, long time ago.
Isitme
Grafter

On another forum I visit this has come up often, it seems to be a general problem with ZA. The most common answer is to dump it and get another free firewall, there are plenty around. I still use Sygate, which is no longer free, but COMODO comes highly recommended.

If you want to persist with ZA, THIS is a useful site, you could also try the ZA forums, there may be an answer there.
N/A

Thanks Tom, I've bookmarked the Comodo web site, and I'll certainly try their firewall if I can't fix the [apparent] issue with ZoneAlarm - I may try it in any event, as it seems to be every bit as capable according to some reviews.

Re ZoneAlarm - first I'm trying an uninstall-reinstall to see if that makes any difference.

I'm no expert in networking and suchlike (although I know my way around a PC) - but I was wondering if there was some problem with DNS or DHCP settings somewhere.

Last question (to anybody) - in IExplorer>Internet Options>Connections>LAN settings, what should the LAN settings be when using an ADSL Modem/Router connected to an Ethernet port?

Thanks for all, and any help.
N/A

Unless you want to use a proxy server, I'm not sure that these need to be changed at all.

As you say you can't even reach the router's web interface, I'm not sure a proxy will help you.

As an aside, what is the IP lease time on your router? I'm assuming you are using DHCP to assign local IP addresses. Could ZoneAlarm be preventing your computer re-negociating an IP address automatically?

Have you tried typing

ipconfig -all

From the command window when your internet fails?

If this is showing 0.0.0.0 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.255 then perhaps ZA is preventing your computer from communicating with the DHCP server on your router?

In that case manually setting an IP address in the range 192.168.x.x (where x.x is the same range as your router uses) might solve your problem, as might adding your router's IP address as a "trusted zone".

As your computer is obviously able to establish a connection on boot, disabling and re-enabling the ethernet connection might work as well- although (unless IP addresses are allocated before the ZA service has started) this should appear to defunct my theory.

The above is complete conjecture and (barely) informed guesswork from someone who have never used ZA, but might be worth a try. Anyone who knows better, please feel free to tell me how stupid I am.
Community Veteran

The above is complete conjecture and (barely) informed guesswork from someone who have never used ZA, but might be worth a try. Anyone who knows better, please feel free to tell me how stupid I am.

I think your spot on with that.
I use Zone Alarm and it can be very fustrating if you don't set up the trusted zones, as it refuses to allow you to pass data between divices without that.
N/A

Hi Les (and John),

Thanks for your input.

I had observed that my router's DHCP lease time was initialy set to be 24 hours. I subsequently changed to "Always use the same address: Yes" (whereby the indicated lease time changed to 49 days) - this hasn't made any difference to the issue.

I have added the router's IP address to ZoneAlarm's "Internet Zone" - I hesitated in adding it to the "Trusted Zone" because the router is the route of all internet traffic, so adding it to the "Trusted" seemed unsafe to me - am I wrong? - would appreciate your opinion here.

I've just ried the "ipconfig - all" command to get a feel for things as when working - but the window closes itself before I can read the report - any idea why would that be?

As you mention - as well as closing ZoneAlarm - rebooting the PC (leaving the router on) also clears the issue. ZoneAlarm does "appear" to be one of the last applications to appear in the Taskbar Notification area.

Any further input or observations would be appreciated - in particular, whether or not it is perfectly safe to add the router's IP address to the Trusted Zone?

Thanks again.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

If you can't see the response to the ipconfig command, are you running it from the Run entry on the Start menu. If so, click Start->Run then type in cmd and press enter, this will open a command window. Now type in the ipconfig /all command and see what that gives you.

On the subject of ZoneAlarm, does you network adaptor show up in the Zones tab of the firewall page. If so, it should show up as an Adapter Subnet. If this shows up, change the zone from Internet to Trusted. This will move your entire network into the trusted zone, including the LAN side of the router - it won't bring the Internet side of the router into the trusted zone though.
N/A

Thanks Phil,

I've now got the ipconfig data up for the working state - it will be interesting to see any changes if/when the problem recurs.

It's interesting to note that the ipconfig's data shows the LAN adapter's DHCP lease time is 24 hours, and

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64 (LAN adapter)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 (Router)
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

In ZoneAlarm my 3Com Etherlink adapter is listed in "Zones" as "Entry Type; Adapter Subnet" and "Zone; Internet".

As previously mentioned, I have added my router's IP address to the Zones list in the "Internet" zone.

I'll experiment with changes one or other of the above from the "Internet" to "Trusted" zones, and see how that goes.

Thanks again - any further comments always welcome.

Mark.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

In ZoneAlarm my 3Com Etherlink adapter is listed in "Zones" as "Entry Type; Adapter Subnet" and "Zone; Internet".

That's the one you want, change the setting to move the adapter into the trusted zone - this brings the router and any other internal network connected computers into the ZA's trusted network - but it doesn't allow anything coming from the internet side of the router into the trusted zone.
Doing this means that you don't need to add your router's IP to the Zones list.

I believe the Speedtouch has as SPI firewall built in anyway, doesn't it? ZoneAlarm only really needs to be there to monitor outgoing traffic, the router will drop incoming packets anyway.