cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with LCD monitor display problem please

N/A

I have 17" active matrix TFTL LCD (PROVIEW) which suddenly has light to dark grey horizontal lines running accross the sgreen. Width of lines varies depending on text, boxes etc being dispalyed at the time.

Have tried relacement screen - no change.

Changed VGA Signal cable - no change

Checked display settings under control panel - everything seems normal.

Any pointers (I am new to personal comuters so easy on the jargon if you could, thanks.)

John
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What is your PC make/model and do you have onboard graphics or an AGP/PCI graphics card.

Basically if you move a window around the screen, the grey lines follow it. Do you also see washed out text (text not a sharp as you expect it to be) and pale colours.

Had a similar problem with an old DELL PC, turned out to be a faulty graphics chip on the mobo so I suspect it's the graphics card or chip (for on-board) that is faulty.

The only way to confirm this is to try another graphics card, can you borrow one from another system or a friends PC.
N/A

Does your monitor have an "Auto" button on it. Sounds similar to the interference patterns we get on some flat screens at work. I always try an auto adjust first and occasionally it works. Other times I have to play around with the monitor settings to get rid of it.

Have you got an old crt that you could try, if so it might help to eliminate your graphics card as being the problem.
N/A

To Peter

Thanks for reply. Machine is DEL (420 I think). I don't have pale colours or washed out text....yet. I have had the machine for 3 years at work with no problems. It was working at home for a about 7 weeks O.K. and then suddenly grey lines appeared. Do graqphic chips wear out?

To Longedge

Thaks for message. I tried auto button and changing monitor settings (originally looked liked the contrast setting had changed) but no luck. Thanks for the comments though.
Community Veteran

Can you find the full model number or quote the SERVICE TAG on the back (usually 4 or 5 letters & numbers something like LG4T3) which you can lookup the make/model on DELLs web site.

Is it a Dell Optiplex GXI something. If so it's sound slike the same same model I had with the problem and DELL confirmed they had a bad batch of on-board graphics chips - we had a lot of failures with this model where I worked but not all of the systems failed though. It is possible other models around that time had the same onboard graphics chip so could suffer from the same problem.

The only solution was to change the mobo (The PC was leased so fixed under maintenance contract but it did take 4 mobos before they found one that worked) but this probably no longer applies to you due to it's age. The only other option is to purchase another graphics card (AGP if you have such a slot or PCI if you do not).

If you purchased this PC from your company it is just bad luck that the problem has occured.

Cheers

Peter Cool