cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Format

Midville
Grafter

Help with Format

My version of XP has fallen over (still on C: however not working). Therefore I need to format and reinstall XP. Whats the best way to do this, do you need a floppy disk with Fdisk on it?!? Then put XP back on?

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheesy hopefully
11 REPLIES
N/A

Help with Format

i find that that way works well, i use a free download of a kill disk (http://www.killdisk.com/) to wipe my hard drive and then just put xp bck on. if you need any data off the hard drive though you need to recover it first otherwise it will be lost[/url]
Midville
Grafter

Help with Format

Another problem is that my PC cant boot up into XP as it is ill.
N/A

Help with Format

or just put in your XP cd and reformat that way ...
Community Veteran

Help with Format

You should try a repair install by booting up off your WIndows XP disk. THis will retain all your apps and settings and just reinstall XP.

Some PCs come with a restore CD which will take you back to the setup you had when you bought the PC but this will delete all data normally.

If you have an OEM system, you may not have an XP CD.
Midville
Grafter

Help with Format

Thanks for your help so far, I have got XP Home disk. I am happy to start a fresh as all my picture, mp3 etc are on another drive. Yes it will be a pain to reinstall some apps, however it will keep me busy while the wife is at work.

It doesn't like reformatting XP when there is a version of XP on the drive, Even though its broken.
N/A

Help with Format

It doesn't mind formatting, you just have a coupla extra key presses to confirm that you really do want shut of the current (borked) install.

Never known the 'repair' option to work at all, never in 2000 Pro or XP Pro anyways, I've always had to do a partition format and re-install.
N/A

Help with Format

It doesn't like reformatting XP when there is a version of XP on the drive, Even though its broken.

try here

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps
Midville
Grafter

Help with Format

Thanks for all your info - so far, I will let you know how I get on when I return home from work this Friday.

Thanks again everyone.
N/A

Help with Format

Dont forget you will have to re activate xp how many times have you done it? If its a few it may not re activate.
Community Veteran

Help with Format

Easiest way is when you get to the install windows on the c drive is to just delete the c: partition and then re create it.
You will have no problem then with formatting as it will see it as a new drive.
Midville
Grafter

Help with Format

I am now up and running, thanks for all of your advice.

Cheers