Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting up SUSE 10 for the internet and e-mail needed

collie_doggy

I am a beginner with Linux.
Please can anyone help me.
I have just installed a dual boot with SUSE 10 in addition to XP.
I cannot get on-line yet with the SUSE.
I have a Speedtouch 330 usb modem.
Thanks
James
15 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Re: Help setting up SUSE 10 for the internet and e-mail need

Hi James and welcome
I have a Speedtouch 330 usb modem.

And therein lies your problem as however good linux has or is becoming its ability to deal with usb modems is still very poor

I also run linux on one of my systems but have not had to deal with this problem as i have always used a router and would suggest that you do the same

maybe someone who has had this problem or knows if there is now a fix / driver or a way around it will be able to help you there are many linux users here

Bill.
collie_doggy

I have found some links that seem to say it is certainly possible to use my modem with SUSE 10, but as a complete novice with Linux I don't understand how to follow them.
I do not intend buying a router since my modem is very good thanks and gives much better results on my long line than the Voyager that Plus Net issued me with!
I was hoping that asking on the PlusNet website I would be able to get specific and easy to follow instructions for a newbie like me.
James
Community Veteran

As stated abovem setting up USB modems can be very problematic, especially for a newbie and even an experienced Linux user can have difficulties.

You really do need to invest in an external router if you intend to experiment with Linux as that is by far the most compatible device for both Linux and Windows systems and is very easy to setup on both. It will also be more portable if you decide to try other Linux distros.

USB modem configs on Linux is not the sort of thing you can explain on Forums, especially to a novice.
pacem
Grafter

http://en.opensuse.org/Speedtouch_330 looks fairly straight forward to follow.

If you need hand-holding then I would suggest you find a local linux group 'cos I don't think anything I can tell you here is going to be any more beneficial than the SUSE instructions already written.

However...
If you think you can just about follow it then I'll happily explain anything you don't understand. (Assuming that I do understand; which I may not...).

Paul.<><
MysteryFCM
Grafter

One of my biggest problems with Linux is actually it's apparent lack of support for wireless cards ........... had to hardwire my Ubuntu system in order to get the damn thing to connect Sad
collie_doggy

http://en.opensuse.org/Speedtouch_330 is one of the links I have been trying. So far I have tried a few ways of copying over the driver files from Windows, starting with exactly what is typed in the the second box with the dottted outline in the link.

I clicked "Run Command" before typing each copy command at a time.
Each time I tried it access was denied as I typed run.
Then I realised there were a few case errors in the commands in the link, so I tried again having corrected these. Access denied again.

Then I tried to get the same end by navigating in My Computer (SUSE) to the windows mirror on the SUSE partition and copying the files using the right hand shortcut menu. I navigated back to the lib/firmware folder but they would not paste as "Access Denied".

Why is it denying me access?

Thanks
James
holdtight
Grafter

Are you signed in as "root" when trying this ? if not it will deny you access

Get yourself a router and get rid of the hassle it is by far the best option for a new linux user
Community Veteran

Hi James

Please do not take this the wrong way, but could I suggest that you join your local library and take out a few books on Linux. Most have a good selection and can get books from other library for a small charge.

I would not run out to the book shops, as I find that writing style on technical books is very much a personal preference. If you find a book you like then look for it second hand on ebay.

The advice you have been given about purchasing a router is very good, one thing that Unix/Linux teaches you, is to use good hardware, not cheap Windoz stuff. Also to select it very carefully.

The permission denied errors, are being caused as you need to be the “root” user to write to some directory within the system areas. The best way to enter commands given on the speedtouch website, would be to open a command shell as the “root” user. Most Linux distro will have this option in the program menus.
Otherwise run command “sh” followed by “su” and enter the “root” password that you set during the installation.

Take care when running as “root” as this user has the power to destroy your system!

For basic commands you may find my site at www.chillypenguin.org helpful.

Chilly
holdtight
Grafter

Can i just add that Pauls suggestion of finding out if you have a local LUG (linux user group) is a very good idea indeed

All have newletters which sign you up to be able to recieve and post any problems you may have mostly using yahoo groups and most if not all members are more than happy to help out new linux users from the most basic of tasks right through to advanced

I dont know which area your in but a google search should put you in contact with your local group you will be surprised by just how many there are

And chillies comment quality hardware and linux YES definately

Bill.
N/A

Just one thing to add to the above advice. There are two good user forums for SuSE at http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php? and http://www.suseforums.net/ . You will get plenty of knowledgeable help from these forums.

Eric
N/A

For a linux kernel >= 2.6.10 , you should use the kernel module :

http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/

As other said it is easier with a router, but now that you have got this usb modem, you can try to use it.
collie_doggy

Thanks
I do want to get it working with this modem as my parents have one of the same make and model too.
I have made some progress with the hints already given.Not quite there yet, but I don't think I'm far off now!
James
collie_doggy

As I type this I'm running SUSE 10 and am running Firefox!
If I go right-click on the Kinternet icon, then select Check Connection, it does say Name Server failure, no name server found in '/etc/resolv.conf'.
Something is not quite right yet I think.
What do I need to do?
Thanks
James
N/A

Under root edit a file called /etc/resolv.conf and put this in it :

domain plus.net
nameserver 212.159.13.49
nameserver 212.159.13.50
nameserver 199.5.157.128