cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - router/wireless trauma

N/A

I used to have cable broadband but when I moved I signed up to plusnet. Unfortuantely because the modem they supplied is a USB model and not ethernet I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set up my wireless network/router. I have an ASUS WL-500g and all of the setups involve connecting the cable or adsl modem to the WAN port. There are 4 LAN ports but I can't get the internet via wireless this way. Does anyone know how I can connect this to my PC via the exisiting ethernet connections and then get my PC to share the internet with the router?
5 REPLIES
N/A

2 possibilities - buy an ethernet DSL modem, or buy an integrated DSL Modem/wireless router/switch. It sounds harsh, but those really are your 2 options. Personally I'd go with the latter and flog the other either here or on fleabay.
Community Veteran

The 3rd of the 2 possibilities Wink is to use ICS (internet connection sharing) on WIndows.

You connect your USB modem to the PC as normal (having loaded the USB drivers for it) and your wireless router to an Ethernet port (either on the mobo or buy a PCI network card) and setup ICS to allow the network port to use the USB modem device for internet access.

However, this can be troublesome as ICS is prone to problems and some software firewalls (like the free ZoneALarm) don't work with ICS. My recomendation is to buy an all-in-one ADSL modem/router/4port switch/wireless device like the Netgear DG834G which costs about £90.
N/A

Thanks, but I was kinda wanting to avoid shelling out anymore cash really so if anyone could briefly describe how to do the internet sharing thing with (or without) ZA I'd really appreciate it!
Community Veteran

The windows help explains how to setup ICS on your PC so try that.

First get your USB modem working before doing anything. Then connect your router to your PC and make sure you can connect to it - set the router to do DHCP and setup the network card to obtain IP automatically.

Then uninstall ZA and reboort, then setup ICS on the PC - it is faily easy to do if you follow the help instructions.

I do recomend you use a software firewall as the USB modem is open to the world when in use. The windows firewall will do (make sure it is turned on for the USB network connection and turned off for the Ethernet network connection) but you should install something else ASAP.

ZA Pro does work with ICS as does a number of the other free firewalls.
sloany
Grafter

really, get the dg834 or buy a dg814 off ebay, you can get an 814 for £20 Max alot easier and more secure than ICS