cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help requested

N/A

Help requested

Hi All

Would anyone be so kond as to suggest reasons why a wireless network card that has been working well for at least 6 months should suddenly stop working properly with the comment "Limited of no connectivity" It is being used on a Windows XP machine. and the router is a D-Link DI-614+ and the wireless card is a D-Link DWL-G650 I have rebooted the router etc,re-installed the wireless card software.

Ot seems to detect the network as it shows
Network: default
Encrytion: enabled
Signal strength: Excellent.

What puzzles me the most is that it seems to have aquired a different IP address namely 169.254.164.84 instead of something along the lines of 192.168.0.100.I would have thought that the router which has DCHP enabled would not have changed the IP adress unless it has something to do with the "Lease" I see something is due to expire Jan/15/2005 but things have gone pearshaped a few days early if that has anything to do with it.

As a bit of an update by manually entering the IP address for the wiresless card I have managed to get it to connect to the router but get DNS errors whin attepting to connect to the website.

The main computer which is connected to the router via ethernet is working fine so I am wondering if wireless cards fail this way but after 6 months I would not have thought that but one never knows I suppose.

Thaks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions

Ian & Linda Jordan
5 REPLIES
Rich
Grafter

Help requested

Possibly one of your neighbours has just installed wireless and you have connected to that one.

Richard.
N/A

Help requested

Hi sunhouse,

Is this your windows box or mac?

If windows from a command prompt type ipconfig /release all
and hit enter.

then ipconfig /renew.

See if that helps.

Some how the card isnt picking up the IP and DNS by dhcp.

If you have to manually assign an ip addy then also manually assign dns settings.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Help requested

Hi All

Thanks for the replies I seem to have solved the problem, I don't know why and is probably way to technical for me but the problem seems to be recently installed SP2. It now works on my wifes computer XP computer after doing an OS restore back to SP1 (system restore did'nt work) and does'nt work on my XP Pro laptop with SP2: strange and may not be the reason but it's working again.

Once again thanks

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Help requested

SP2 includes a new MS feature in the Control Panel - the Wireless Network Setup Wizard. You probably just need to run that.
N/A

Help requested

I think now it may be a faulty card,I have reverted back to ethernet connection on the wifes machine and all seems fine now (fingers crossed)

Ian & Linda Jordan