cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help requested from a complete newbie to burning CD's

N/A

Hi

I am a Mac user but I suspect that my query may apply to other systems as well.

I wish to purchase some commercial software that comes as either 3 Cd's or at a slightly reduced price can be downloaded as 3 ".tar" files.

Can anyone let me know how to burn those ".tar" to CD's so they work the same as if I had ordered the 3 CD version; assuming of course that it can be done but I suspect that Linux users are doing this with downloaded ISO's all the time.

Do I just unpack the "tar" files and drag all the resulting files to the CD for burning or is it a little more complex than that?

Because all the files needed to actual run the programme are on the first CD but it needs to be able to read information from the other 2,that is the bit I am not sure about...... getting the 3 Cd's to be a set so to speak; and I don't really want to turn a packet of CD-R's into shiny beer mats in the process :-)

Thanks for any help or advice....... even a pointer to a "CD burning for total dummies" web page would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

I would imagine there is an executable installer on the first CD which manages swapping the remaining CD's. So as long as the files in the three .tar's are the same as the three CD's it would probably work.

Besides which CD-R's are cheap enough, surely, not to worry about the odd beermat, so just try it and see if it works! As you said, unpack the files, then burn each set to a CD. You might find that the first CD won't autoplay and you'll have to start the installer manually, it depends if the .tar's are straight copies of the CD's.
N/A

Thanks Denzil

Nice to know my theory was correct......now to put it into practice

IanJ
holdtight
Grafter

Also depending on where your downloading from there is usually a readme txt about installation
sometimes there a bit sketchy but do give you the general idea