Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on setting up VPN

N/A

Help on setting up VPN

Hi

I would appreciate some advice.

I have a Binatone ADSL 2100 router which serves 4 PCs on a small LAN. I would like some of my friends to be able to share files stored on one of the PCs (running W2K)on my LAN.

They are all Plusnet ADSL customers using ADSL modems connected to standalone PCs.

Please can you suggest how I may config a VPN and what software, config changes to my router I would need?

Many Thanks
Gary
10 REPLIES
N/A

Help on setting up VPN

Try www.logmein.com On their pro version you can file share etc via your web browser and it is 128bit encryption. In order to create a VPN you need to run Windows 2000 server. Win 2000 doesn't allow VPN connections as the server (the computer you want to access files on) but you can use it as the client (i.e you and your friends).
N/A

VPN Server

Hi,

In other words your going to need at least 1 Machine setup as a VPN server before this concept (logmein) will work. Looks like you might need server software such as windows server 2003 or similar? or specific VPN server software.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Help on setting up VPN

Hi there,

To set up and configure the VPN server and client contained within Win XP and / or Win 2K see this article.

Providing you follow it carefully and ensure that your router can handle a VPN you should be fine. No need to invest in 3rd party software.
N/A

Help on setting up VPN

Alot of cheaper-end Cisco or Linksys routers now do VPN built in, check that out (because binatone suck anyway)
N/A

Help on setting up VPN

Agreed. The current netgear routers, with the latest firmware also handle VPN passthrough.
N/A

Help on setting up VPN

Is the concensus that I will need to replace the Binatone router because it will not support VPN pass through?
N/A

more help needed please

Thanks for all your replies and advice.

I've had a look at logmein and although it looks interesting, it would appear that it will not provide me with the file share functionality I need (one of the files I need to share is an app licence file which cannot be ditributed).

I have also looked at the article on VPNs using Microsoft OS but I cannot see specifics about setting up an VPN server using W2K or even XP?

Would I be right in thinking that I will need another IP address from Plusnet my VPN server PC can be seen from the Internet?

Thanks again

Gary
N/A

Help on setting up VPN

or, you could just run an FTP server.
N/A

Re: more help needed please

I have also looked at the article on VPNs using Microsoft OS but I cannot see specifics about setting up an VPN server using W2K or even XP?
Gary

Hi Gary,

Scroll down the page till you see the XP logo, to the right of that there are a series of links. Follow the links to the relevant tutorial. The same setup rules apply to Win 2K.

As for your IP address, the single static IP supplied by Plus Net is all you need.

Using the configuration, similar to that outlined in those links, permits some of our smaller clients, some as far away as Dubai, to connect to their main offices in the UK. It works and works well.

Further reading here
N/A

Re: more help needed please

You may also want to consider looking at http://openvpn.net/ which enables you to run a free SSL VPN server on a Win2k or WinXP machine. Lots of different security settings and as it is based around SSL, there aren't any special settings or configuration issues associated with routers.

I have just spent a bit of time setting it up after looking at various articles on the web which all spoke highly of it and I have to say that I am quite impressed so far. Currently connected to a server in the office and am able to browse all files on the local network over there.

Hope it helps.

James