cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on networking

N/A

Help on networking

Hi peeps, at the moment I am on a networking course, but the book that I am currently reading out of has some parts that arent understandable Sad

Is there a possibility that some one may be able to suggest a web site
25 REPLIES
N/A

Help on networking

depends what you want to do, give me some specific things your stuck on and ill help you through it.
N/A

Help on networking

N/A

Help on networking

sorry for the late delay been a little busy with work and college, doin a cisco course at the moment completed CCNA1 on to CCNA 2, i thnk its the case of trying to remember the commands with what they do. Such a hard course but im sure i will get through it.

P.S Thank you for your response in help, have a great day and take it easy Smiley
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Help on networking

Hi Folks,

Rather than open a new thread.......................

I have connected my two computers together via a network cable and network ports in the hope of running the Internet on the second computer via the connection on the first. Both running XP and have run the network wizard on both. Can't get no connection to the Internet on Computer two. Guess it is not that easy.

What should I do next?
N/A

Help on networking

1) google
2) search the forum
3) read the Microsoft documentation on internet sharing
Community Veteran

Help on networking

Hi rourkefamily.

I think you would need a "patch" or "cross over" cable to connect the two pc's if I remember correctly. (I may be wrong though)
They are only a few quid.
holdtight
Grafter

Help on networking

If your connecting the two together directly from lan port to lan port you will need a cat5 crossover cable not a patch
Community Veteran

Help on networking

@ holdtight

Yer my memory gets fogged these days, I thought they were the same thing, but now you mention it the "patch" cable is a standard straight through one isn't it.
holdtight
Grafter

Help on networking

I can relate to the fogged memory Wink but yes your right the patch is straight through used for connection between hubs switches routers etc

Bill.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Help on networking

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the reply.

Just ordered a cable on ebay.

Once it arrives, should it be 'plug and play'?
holdtight
Grafter

Help on networking

In theory yes but you know MS, it will help if you enter your own ip addresses for each system ie 192.168.1.2 - /3 /4 and so on

your router will show your default gateway which is likely to be something like 192.168.1.1 enter this also and subnet of 255.255.255.0 this way you can avoid the horrible wizard and your systems will recognise each other
N/A

Help on networking

oh.my.god.

"plug and play networking" lol!

have you never heard of the words google, or the search button? there really should be a rule against posts that repeat other posts. There are serveral tutorials and explanations on this forum already! Just so you dont think im trying to flame you ill post some of them here ::

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials (this is linked many times thought these forums)

top three hits from google:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/is/services/homeusers/broadband/homenetwork.html
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/
Community Veteran

Help on networking

Feeling stressed buzzons?

Relax man. Cool
N/A

Help on networking

Its just this question gets asked every few weeks, with nearly the exact same ans beeing given, why, oh why, cant users use the SEARCH button? its what its there for!

oh and i was also wantin to pimp out my ever so amazing tutorial :p