cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on Qmail

N/A

Help on Qmail

Hi Folks

Anyone out there familiar enough with "Qmail" able to explain how to add a message ID that will get through Plusnets anti-spam block? I have established that some legitimate email is not getting through to me,because of Qmails apparently complicated way of not including a message ID

Thanks Ian & Linda Jordan

Moderators note (John) Title altered so that it relates to some subject. Just putting the word help is giving nobody a clue as to what you want help with and would tend to make people ignore it.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Help on Qmail

Are you running your own SMTP mail server, i.e. on your own PC?

The blocking occurs on incoming mail to PLusNet's mail servers so it is the sender of the mail (or some mail server between them and you) that is not adding the Message-ID and there is nothing you can do about it as the receiver of the mail.

Or have I not understood what you are asking?
N/A

Help on Qmail

Or have I not understood what you are asking?

No you understood perfectly.I am probably going to get an answer I don't understand here;but is it possable for the person to by-pass the Plusnet server,and send e-mails directly to my computer IP address without my setting up a mail server?

And John...... I will consider myself severly chastised :-(

Ian & Linda Jordan
Community Veteran

Help on Qmail

You cannot send email to an IP address, it has to go through the PlusNet mail servers because that is how mail is distributed around the internet.

The only way you are going to get the email is if the sender has the Message-ID added and they must query this with their ISP. There is nothing you can do but inform the sender to make such an enquiry with their ISP. Note: Many other ISPs are rejecting mail without a Message-ID so it is not just PlusNet they would have problems with so it's in their own interest to get it sorted at their end.
N/A

Help on Qmail

You cannot send email to an IP address, it has to go through the PlusNet mail servers because that is how mail is distributed around the internet.
N/A

Help on Qmail

Sorry about that,pressed "submit" instead of "preview" but I had an idea that was the most likely reply:but thanks anyway

Ian & Linda Jordan