cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With An Annoying Message

fraval
Grafter

When I click on an Icon to go on a site I get this message up if trying to connect to google
[Windows cannot find whatever site Im trying to access,make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again]

The message has a red circle with a white X in it,

When I click the OK it will move onto the site but takes ages

Here Is A Link To Message I Get
http://upload6.postimage.org/579617/photo_hosting.html

Ive tried putting PC through different Spyware and Virus Programmes to clear this

Grateful Of Any Help With This
15 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Where are these icons? Desktop? Favourites?

Does this happen if you go into your browser directly and type the address?

What operating system and browser do you use? Do you use a USB modem or router to connect to the internet?
fraval
Grafter

Icons are on desktop,some on there own,but mostly in folders

If i have google or any other site open,and open another Website it will go on without the message,when I close all the open pages and start from desktop I get the message again

Running XP,Firefox ,BT1800 HG Router.

Its only the last 3 days I have been getting this message,all has been fine until then.

Its taking ages to open sites,it will bring the message up first,then I OK the message,and then after a bit it will open the page.

Hope Im making sense with this Im not PC techy at all
Community Veteran

Sounds like you may have an infection of some malware which is redirecting you.

I suggest running a full spyware scan with spybot search and destroy and with adaware (google for both apps). Also make sure your anti-virus is up to date (you do have antivirus s/w installed and a firewall don't you - if not you really need it).
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

The good news is that this is a genuine Windows error message as I got it when clicking on a shortcut for a made up domain name on an XP box (using Firefox as default browser).

The bad news is that you're clearly having problems resolving domain records for genuine websites.

Can you try the following-

1. Go to Start

2. Click "Run" (depending on your Start Menu layout this will either be immediately above the Start button or to the right above "Shut Down")

3. In the box that appears type "cmd"

4. At the prompt type "ipconfig /flushdns". The command window should then display "Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache"

5. Close the command window

If this doesn't work can you repeat steps 1-3 of the above process, but instead of typing "ipconfig /flushdns" can you type "nslookup www.google.co.uk"; and paste (right click, Select All, press "Enter") the result here.

Might also be worth looking in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc at the file "hosts". There shouldn't be anything in there (ignoring comments marked with "#") other than "127.0.0.1 localhost". If there is then copy the contents and PM them to me and I'll check this out for you.
fraval
Grafter

Dont know if I have done this right,heres the results of what I done
http://upload6.postimage.org/584232/photo_hosting.html

Sorry but I wouldnt know how to get into
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc at the file "hosts". There shouldn't be anything in there (ignoring comments marked with "#") other than "127.0.0.1 localhost". If there is then copy the contents and PM them to me and I'll check this out for you.

I have hijack this if you know how to sort the results out on that, if I PM you

I have run spyware scan & spybot search and destroy
I do have a firewall and Anti-virus

As I say this prob has only been there for about 3 days now
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Need to enter the command exactly as I cited it-

nslookup www.google.co.uk

In terms of getting to your hosts file, just open up an explorer window (not internet explorer) and paste in the path I mentioned.

Alternatively just navigate to it in "My Computer".

Will need to open it in Notepad in order to view the contents.
fraval
Grafter

p_w_d_stone
Grafter

That's it.

Strangely the first IP address on list times out and can't be pinged or accessed via a web browser. rDNS shows that it is in the IP range owned by Google, so it doesn't sound like you've got any Malware redirecting you.

What DNS server are you using? Try manually setting it to the PlusNet recommended servers. There's a tutorial here that might be helpful.

I assume you weren't having problems with any other websites?

Let us know if that solves your problem.

If there's a Comms agent floating around the forums then it might be worth getting the Network team to check if any of the PlusNet DNS servers are giving this IP address for Google tomorrow as (if this is happening) it's likely to be causing lots of users problems. Last time I checked Google was the most visited site in the UK.
fraval
Grafter

Hi Again Peter
I tried what you said with the DNS,It hasnt made any difference,thanks for all your help in trying to get me sorted out
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@peterstone:

from the PN office -

C:\Documents and Settings\Agent>nslookup www.google.co.uk
Server: 84.93.219.253.plusnet.pth-ag2.dyn.plus.net
Address: 84.93.219.253

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.l.google.com
Addresses: 64.233.183.147, 64.233.183.99, 64.233.183.103, 64.233.183.104
Aliases: www.google.co.uk, www.google.com

also:

C:\Documents and Settings\Agent>ping 64.233.183.147

Pinging 64.233.183.147 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.183.147: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=242
Reply from 64.233.183.147: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 64.233.183.147:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 17ms

Might have been an issue with that particular Google server as http://64.233.183.147 goes straight to the google homepage (as of today, anyway).

@Fraval - given the above, are you still having the same problems? I suspect there was a problem with the above server yesterday.

Hope this helps,
fraval
Grafter

Orbrey
Its not just google I get the message up with ,I was just using that as a example,Its any shortcut Icon I try to open on me desktop or in folders.

As An example if I bookmark a page and save it on desktop,when I try to open it I will get the message up,when I OK the message it will then open the page.It takes so long to open pages with it keep coming up

It will open OK if I have a tab left open,Its when I go from the desktop icon with no tabs open I get the message.

It has been fine up to 4 days ago,I have never had this problem before
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Right, you are able to resolve domain records correctly, so this is not a DNS issue.

I note from your hosts file that you're using STOPzilla, and there are a lot of entries there redirecting undesirable sites to localhost. This shouldn't be an issue but it does tell us third-party software is involved.

In order to eliminate this as the problem, please can you try disabling STOPzilla, then all Firefox add ones (in Firefox click Tools, Add-ons, click "Disable" against all Adds-ons), close Firefox and then click on the links again.

Are there similar problems launching internet explorer for the first time?
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Can you confirm if you have Windows Live! Plus! installed or if there is a program called "CiD Help" under the "Add/Remove Programs" menu in the Control Panel. I have some inconclusive evidence from your hosts file that I'd like to follow up on.
fraval
Grafter

Peter Your A Star
Thats cracked it,I disabled all me addons,then put them back on one at a time,and its turned out that it was firefox google toolbar causing the message,Ive had the toolbar on me PC for a couple of years now,it must be a recent update that had caused it.

I dont have Windows Live! Plus or CID in the Programmes

I dont know how to Disable Stopzilla,I didnt even know I had it running.I tried to download Stopzilla a couple of months ago but deleted it,its not in me add and remove or programme files,so how will I find it?

I have been back on C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc at the file "hosts and its full of Stopzilla do I leave it all there ,or how can I get rid of it?