cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Upgrading Graphics Card

N/A

Have just ordered PlusNet BB services and am upgrading my graphics card in preparation for the great day!!

Currently have 16mb shared graphics card (rubbish i know that's why i'm upgrading) and have bought a Nvidia geforce 2 MX400 64mb one instead.

Question is, as my current card is shared is it a case of just putting in new card, installing drivers and away i go - or - is it more complicated than that!!

First attempt at this kind of thing so simple english please!!

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I assume you mean your existing graphics are from an integrated graphics controller on the motherboard.

Usually, if you fit a new AGP card, the BIOS will auto-detect it and disable the onboard graphics controller. But on some systems you have to select the grahics adapter by selecting something like AGP. Check your BIOS settings screens and see if you have a graphics card selection.

So.

1 - fit the new card and connect your monitor to it and start your PC. if it works great.

2 - if it does not work, leave the card in but connect your monitor to the original connector. Then boot into the BIOS and check for graphics card selection. Change it to AGP, power off, connect monitor to new card and startup.

3. if that fails, post back with your motherboard make/model or PC make/model - ther AGP connector may not support your speed of AGP card which I think is a 1x/2x card and your mobo may only support 4x or 8x. - yes there are at least 4 versions of AGP and they are not all compatible!
N/A

Blimey!!

Well lets hope that your suggestion (1) works then!!

I shall let you know!

Thanks for the advice!
csogilvie
Grafter

I'll take a note of that advice as well as its something I'm thinking about doing as well Smiley
Community Veteran

I forgot to say that some combinations could result in damage to the mobo or graphics card. i.e. fitting a 4x/8x AGP into a mobo designed for 1x/2x although this is rare it's something to be aware of.

This is because of the power requirements: AGP 1x/2x = 3.3v, 4x = 1.5v, 8x = 0.8v. In theory you can't actually fit a card into the AGP that is not compatible (i.e requiring a different voltage) but a universal AGP slot normally allows all cards to be fitted but will not necessary be compatible with them.

Your GF2 MX440 should be fine though asit's a 2x card I think. It's fitting the latest AGP graphics cards into older mobos that can be an issue.
N/A

Thanks again!!

I have a packard Bell imedia 5044. Only 12 months old.

Specs are:

AMD Athlon XP1700
Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8365A
256Mb memory
40gb HD
Savage 4 integrated on board graphics card - shared 16mb

and i use XP home!

So hopefully the new graphics card will slot in no problemo!

Ever the optimist! Cheesy
Community Veteran

The chipset supports 4x AGP but it is not clear if it also supports 2x AGP, just depends on the mobo implementation so it may be OK.

This may be a silly Q but have you actually checked inside your PC to see if it has an AGP connector - not all integrated graphics mobo's do.
N/A

Thanks for all the advice!!

Luckily opton (1) of Petervaughns post worked!!

Straight in - no probs!!

Thanks again just gotta wait for BB to arrive now!!

Not long to go!

Cheers! Cheesy
N/A

The onboard graphics may still be enabled.
Easist way to check is to look in Device manager and see if the Savage is still listed.
If it is, the system may be running slower than optimum. Only solution is to enter the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics frm there.
Community Veteran

Unlikely as the BIOS and system can't usually cope with 2 graphics chips running and the AGP slot will have priority over the onboard chip. The clue will be the amount of physical memory - if it is 16Megs higher than before (the amount the onboard graphics pinched from main memory) the onboard graphics will be disabled.
N/A

I do tend to agree if the onboard is AGP (which most are) as 2 AGP cards are not pssible.
However, I have had 2 cards running in one machine - 1 AGP, one PCI with no probs apart from a terrible performance hit.
It isn't that much of an issue to check for sure...
Community Veteran

The onboard graphics is AGP on that chipset. Yes AGP & PCI will work fine for running 2 displays.
N/A

Just to let you know that my mate turned up (after i had done it - typical) and insisted that i look in the BIOS as he was also a non-believer!!

Anyway it appears that on install the on-board graphics were disabled and it works perfectly!!

Thanks for all the advice and the concern!