cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Squeaky Keyboard Space Bar

N/A

Dont know if I posted in right area but oh well Wink

My spacebar has started squeaking and its really anoying me, anyone offer any ideas how to make it stop without opening the stupid thing (lol) up?

----------

Nevermind, just squirted some WD40 down the side of the space bar, it stinks now but it seems to have worked lol
14 REPLIES
crimsone
Grafter

Laptop, or PS/2?

If it's a standard PS/2 keyboard, you can gently prize the key out with a small screwdriver. Give it a clean and a visual inspection and see how it lies.

Last time I had a squeaky key, I just took the key off, gave it a drop of thin lubricant oil (just a SMALL drop - a smear in fact) and placed the key back in. The squeak pretty much dissapeared after a few presses.
N/A

Ah I just-pulled-it-off-and-its-full-of-wd40-lol

Sorted, I blew it out and it all went on my face, oh well thanks for that, it dont squeak no more lol
crimsone
Grafter

That's the way it usually goes Wink

It's amazing what gets trapped in there sometimes Smiley In my case it's usually my coffee (I just had to buy a new keyboard because I couldn't be bothered to clean the last one. Spilled coffe had given me a stickey enter and left cursor key, and the other threewcursor keys were stuck together and operating in unison. lol. Unfortunately, I still haven't quite got to grips with hitting the right keys on this one (no wrist rest on the front)
N/A

a) Some keyboards are designed to withstand being washed in a dishwasher

b) How much is a new keyboard anyway? 50p?
crimsone
Grafter

lol. it was £7 - not too expensive.

I think the thing that needs to be taken into account here thoutgh, is that I drink very strong coffee. Even straight out of the kitchen it's like hot syrup, and I take three sugars in it. lol

I subscribe to the "it's only a keyboard" school of thought - I buy 'em cheap, wear 'em out, and buy 'em cheap Smiley As long as it has all the buttons, and the three power keys, and it's PS/2 (not USB - that's just a pointless pain when I have a dedicated PS/2 port. lol) it serves my purposes. A wrist rest thing on the front of it is always useful, but not essential.

Now, Mice are a different story..... Cheesy
Community Veteran

I have a Microsoft ergonomic multi-media wireless keyboard (can't use those straight ones anymore... they hurt like hell arter years of using ergos). and sadly they cost more that £7.. BUT... I once spilled the best part of a pint of lager in it... and thought Eek that is it...

But I whipped the batteries out and the next day I took it apart and washed all the membrains and the keys.... everything except the tiny circuit board and the ribbon cable stuff.. and it worked good as gold!

Now that I was impressed with! In the past that would have been a dead keyboard for sure.
Community Veteran

Re: Help! Squeaky Keyboard Space Bar

Definately not so I have moved this to Computers and hardware which is where it should be.
N/A

Re: Help! Squeaky Keyboard Space Bar

Definately not so I have moved this to Computers and hardware which is where it should be.

Owch, sorry about that boss. I notice you live pretty close to me, I am in Bury. Maybe when you have a free hour you can pop around and teach me where I should be posting stuff? Shockedops:

Sorry
Community Veteran

You will be asking him to clean your keyboard next!
N/A

You will be asking him to clean your keyboard next!

Thats a bit harsh, he can clean my house though :lol:
N/A

Last time my keyboard squeaked was because my mouse was trapped in it.
Sorry, just couldn't resist that one Shockedops:
N/A

Talking of kbs n mice Wink How do u get inside the MS wireless infared intelli-mouse? The scroll wheel on mine is sticking, and the mouse seems sealed to me :s

Nevermind, the screws are under the rubber feet apparently, doh! Shockedops:
N/A

Just noticed your edit :lol:

Your as bad as me... Squirting DW40 all over the keyboard when I could of just pulled the spacebar key off lmao

http://www.gruntville.com/howtos/led_mouse_mod/

Check this out, it may help you not only fix the mouse but make it look "more better" lol
N/A

hah cool thx for that.