N/A

Help: Setting up FTP server using DG814 & Serve-U FTP se

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a FTP server on a local machine. My set up is as follows:
Windows 98 Machine
Serve-U FTP server
Netgear DG814 ADSL Router

I've two main questions:
1) Is it ok for me to set up an FTP server on my plusnet connection. Very low usage, I just want a way to transfer files between friends.

2) Where I enter the address of the FTP server in the Serve-U GUI, I presume I specify my IP address as supplied by plusnet and let the port forwarding on the 814 point to the Computers LAN IP?
Will the port forwarding on the DG814 do the job or do I need something else? Can I use both passive and non-passive types of FTPing with the port forwarding on the 814?

I'm a bit confused as to how it should all be set up. :?

Any help/pointers appreciated,
Richard.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

1) there are no limits on your use of your broadband connection so running an FTP server is fine.

2) For passive FTP just forward port 21 in the router. For non-passive FTP you also need to forward port 20 I think which is the control channel.

I'm not familiar with Serve-U but I would have thought you just put your local PCs's IP address or even 127.0.0.1 (localhost). All connections to port 21 on your PlusNet IP will be forwarded to your PC anyway with the port forwarding.

Are you still using a DHCP assingned IP address for your PC. If so I would recommend setting it up with a static IP so it cannot change. DHCP can sometimes assign different IP addresses when your PC is switched on or the router reset. ALso make sure the DHCP range is adjusted so it does not include your static IP.

Also you must use username.plus.com to connect to your FTP server - this resolves to your PlusNet assigned IP address, not www.username.plus.com which points to your PlusNet webspace. Just in case you were not aware of this.
N/A

Thanks!

Got it working now.... sort of anyway. I need to get it to work correctly with my firewall now.

Thanks again.
R.