cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please- Networking, unable to share Internet connection

N/A

I`m a newbie to networking!!
Have two PC`s connected by Cat 5 e crossover cable, can share files, folders, hard drives and printer! Cannot connect to plus.net through the host computer. Have run the Windows Network Wizard quite a few times, have disconnected network cards and re-installed drivers etc., but no success!!

Host Computer is a Medion 3.2 Ghz with a Via Rhine 111 Fast Internet Adapter, Modem is Speedtouch 330. Second PC is a Medion based but with a Gigabyte Motherboard (original fried due to faulty PSU!!) 2.6 Ghz Intel Celeron processor, with an SIS 900 Fast Ethernet Adapter. Both PC`s are running Win XP with the Secondary PC running XP Professional.
mij
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Do you have ICS (internet connection sharing) running on the PC with the speedtouch connected. You need this for the 2nd PC to connct through.

Also check any software firewalls are not blocking the connection by disabling them to prove if they are the problem.

Or save all the hassle and future problems and invest in a 4 port ADSL modem/router - cost about £50.
N/A

If both pc's can see each other and pc one can connect to the internet (you dont say how this is done) then on the pc that is connected to the internet run a cmd propmpt. Start run type cmd then in the box type ipconfig /all. This will give you the ip address of that pc.

On the second pc open the network connection and the tcip setting and enter the ip address of the first pc as the default gateway. It should then work you may ahve to reboot
N/A

Thanks to Mwright & PeterVaughan ref: Networking Problem

Thanks for the replies. Smiley Think I will take the easy route (ADSL Modem /Router, now on my list to Santa!"!)

Again my thanks!!!!

Mij Cheesy