needs upgrading.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike Davidson
6 REPLIES
MarkAngel
Grafter

Help!!! PC upgrade

I've been there a few times...and man it is a pain.
I find that XP often freaks out if it has a massive change like that, and to be honest the best thing you can do is go for the full re-install. Besides once you have done that, if will seem even faster!!!

M
vic_newey
Grafter

Help!!! PC upgrade

surely if he has fitted a new hardrive then he will have done a new format /install,
can I ask is there a XP2 service pack involved in this ? if so then it must be installed before any of the other drivers to avoid conflicts
MarkAngel
Grafter

Help!!! PC upgrade

If it has been a fresh install then there should be no problems at all.

If there are any "add in" cards then I would remove them until windows is up to strenght, then add them in one at a time, as I have had that freak out an XP Install.

M
N/A

Blue Screening on XP replying Ivan

Hello Mike,

OK with Windows XP what tends to upset the OS even these days is still drivers and your blue screen of death sounds suspciously like this, XP can get quite picky about drivers especially hardware related drivers. The problem is most common if your using older hardware with older drivers, XP can get upset "IF" the drivers are NOT written specially for windowsXP and are NOT digitally signed by Microsoft. Often XP will chuck up an error message saying these drivers are NOT digitally signed do you want to continue the install of the software and that if you do your system can become unstable and I have a feeling that this might be your case too?

**Solution is too see if you can source (get hold of) newer XP updated drivers for your various drivers or devices, might be things like graphics cards, CPU, etc. Updated or more recently written drivers should be more stable.

**Also be you should be aware that with XP (NT) you used to be able to run the boot up sequence with a special switch which would show you each driver being loaded and it would also show you where the boot fails and which file or driver it failed on (this can be extremely useful in this sort of situation). Sorry! I'm sure the switch still exsists I cannot recall just now, I wonder if someone can enlighten us?

**Also you should definately check the XP hardware compatibility checklist (for your specific hardware or machine) and also that you do in fact have the minimum XP requirements other wise it might be failing on this or running bog slow as your system might be under the requirements for XP? dont know but definately worth checking if you havent already.

**If you do already have XP compatible drivers and its still failing then see if you can source another copy of the same drivers, it could be just a corrupted or damaged driver file version. A fresh copy should sort that one out if it is?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
Community Veteran

Re: Help!!! PC upgrade

I've just upgraded my pc, new motherboard, cpu, hard drive, ram
and graphics card. I've reloaded windows xp, but when
I try to load software or drivers, I get the dreaded blue screen
and the system reboots. The system is running slow as well,
which is surprising considering I've installed an amd 64 3500+

Ivan look at what has been upgraded virtually everything inc ram if so much has been upgraded I doubt the OP has a system under the minimum spec especially using a AMD 64 and as xp is the standard these days and has been out nearly 4 years now

Mike, Welcome to the forums
N/A

Yet More XP Booting Ivan

Hello no7olivier,

Yes! but several of my points still remain valid, you could upgrade almost every part or componant but if its hardware thats NOT supported on the MS hardware compatibility list for XP it could still fail badly. Even just one componant could screw things up and thats even more like. The drivers issue I say still IS extremely likely to be a source of the problem.

**Remember since MS introduced product activation in Win XP changing MORE THAN 5 major parts could also be a problem here (i.e. HDD, MD,Mem, Graphics Card,CPU and there's 5 already??)?? Have you considered that angle?Huh

If winXP is Blue Screening then what ever the problem is, its causing a catastophic problem i.e. its a major problem NOT a little tweak we are talking of here.

**Have you tried booting XP using the last known good (copy of the registry which XP keeps for just this kind of situation?) from F8 when booting up, select from the advanced menu that should appear.

**if you cannot figure out what the problem is, try using the boot logging enabled option (ntbtlog.txt). after booting and logging, boot into safe mode then examine the log?

**Do you get any specific errors to go bye?? such as NTLDR missing, or NTDETECT.COM or NTOSKNL or BOOT.INI missing?

**Master boot record missing on HDD?

**Which files are missing or cannot be found or are damaged?

**have you got the correct ARC path statement witihin the boot.ini file otherwise it wont find the correct hard disk drive that contains the system & boot files?

**Have you had a close look at the NT (winXP) Event LOGS?? if that's at all possible (which it might NOT be by the sound of it).

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!