cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! I've lost my modem, multi media audio controller, etc

N/A

Hi, sorry if anyone's answered this in the past, but I'm a brand new member (no, it's not my round!) and I did run a search but found nothing.

The other day, I went to switch on my laptop and all that came up was a message saying that I had a corrupt file and could try a repair if I had the original XP disk. Not having it, I tried everything I could think of and then gave up and did a complete windows xp reinstall from another disk.

I got up and running again, but discovered that there's no sign of my modem, multi media audio controller, video controller or SM Bus controller. I have run all the searches I can think of (not many as I'm an non-technical minded girlie), but they can't be found anywhere. I know that it was an agere '97 modem so I downloaded drivers for that, but all it keeps asking for is the disk. :roll:

Thankfully, while I wait to be properly activated on Plus Net, I still have my old BB connection so can sign on as a guest to my old network.

If anyone has any idea, please could you let me know but keep it simple as I am, well, erm...simple! :? Many thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES
N/A

You're not going to like this. What you did when you reinstalled XP was to delete all the drivers for the various bits of hardware in your laptop. While XP has a good range of drivers to choose from when it installs, it by no means has all drivers for all hardwares. What you will have to do is write down the make, model and serial number of your laptop and visit the site of the manufacturer. You should be able to find out from your serial and model numbers what hardware is in your laptop, and then you should be able to download the drivers for them from the manufacturers site. Sorry it's not good news, but when you do a reinstall you should back up all your drivers. There are several programs about to do this. If you do a search on google for your manufacturer, you shouldn't have any problems. Just visit the support section and you should find everything you need. I've had this problem several times with laptops that have no driver discs with them, but I've always managed to find the drivers at the makers site. Hope this is of some help to you.
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

Oh, you're so wrong, John! I really did like that and it was so simple I feel really thick for having had to ask. Shockedops: It scared the hell out of the dog when the sound came back on as it was rather loud. I would have done a full back-up but I didn't get the chance. It literally wouldn't let me do anything except a full reinstall - I couldn't even get on safe mode.
Thanks again for that, it was a great help
. Cheesy

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is not needed.]
N/A

Glad to hear you got it sorted.
Regards, John Taylor.