cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help. First timer with wireless network

N/A

Hi

I've ordered a Sony Vaio Laptop (due to arrive Friday ) and I'd like to set up a wireless network with my Vaio desktop so I can use the laptop to connect to broadband in other rooms. I know I need a wireless router, but am a bit muddled about what else I need. I don't want to leave the PC switched on 24/7.

My desktop machine has an Ethernet Network port(10BASE-T/100BASE- TX) and a PC card slot (type II) and is connected to my ADSL USB broadband modem. The new laptop has an RJ-45 Direct Port (network), PCMCIA Card Type I or II, Ethernet 10 BASE-T/100 BASE-TX & Integrated Wireless LAN.

II know I'm being a bit dense on this one but can anyone point me in the right direction, so that whatever kit I buy, it will be the correct bits. Also is the hardware offer on the PlusNet site worth considering?

Thanks in advance.

Yve
4 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

N/A

Thanks for the suggestion link.

With an ADSLRouter/Modem would I need to keep the PC on 24/7? I understand that I need to do this if I just have a wireless router and use the existing ADSL Modem?

Thanks

Yvonne
N/A

I use a Netgear modem/router and it does not need the pc left on. So long as the modem/router has power, you can get on the web with a laptop.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Yvonne,

If you obtain something like the Etech Wireless ADSL modem router, both the lap top and the PC connec to BB through the modem router, regardless of LAN or WLAN connection.

If you choose to leave the USB modem in place you will have to establish a peer to peer wireless link between the PC and laptop for BB access (using internet connection sharing [aka ICS]). The WILL require you to keep the PC switched on.

Hope this is clear - if not send a PM and I'll try to help further.

Cheers,
Kevin