cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! CD drive and errors

N/A

My cd drive is not apperaring in my computer folder. I have tried to reinstall the driver using the floppy disc installation but this creates all types of problems. It loads the driver in DOS mode and when I try to access the cd rom and a lot of other programs they freeze. I also can not access the internet and I have problems getting rid of the cd driver again to access the internet and other folders. Also I downloaded a PC doctor on call software that runs and claims I have 200 errors on my computer. It will fix them for $30. Has anyome heard of this and if so would they recommend it?
14 REPLIES
N/A

What OS are you using?

if its XP just reinstall it.. it will be easier than trying to fix it

Buz
N/A

I am using windows 98. My machine is a dreaded tiny machine (I know it is rubbish but it cost me £1300 4 years ago and I don't want to upgrade until I get a few more months out of it). My problems really started when I tried to upgrade drivers to play a new game. Direct x 9 was not compatible and I have been reintalling and trying to upgrade ever since. My main problem is I think i know a bit about the technical side but I dont really and make work for myself by deleting things i shouldn't.
Community Veteran

Try removing the DOS mode driver - i.e. don't load any DOS mode CD drivers on startup. This may be confusing windows causing it not recognise your CD.

Also in device manager, are the hard disk controllers working correctly i.e. no X or ! next to the devices?

Do you have any motherboard chipset drivers. If so uninstall/reinstall them (and download the latest version of the drivers).

If you want to remove directX so you can reinstall it (or an earlier version) try DirectX Eradicator.

DX9 should be compatible with Win98 (is it Win98 or Win98SE you have). Maybe you need to check if there are any later graphics drivers for your video card which may then support DX9. What video card do you have?
N/A

I assume the cd drive is actually workingHuh I also assume it is a IDE cd and not running off a soundcard.

Go into autoexec.bat and config.sys using notepad and remove the DOS drivers for the CD (maybe a line containing cdrom.sys or mscdex.exe)

Go to control panel -> system -> device manager -> hard disk controllers . Remove master controller.
Shut down the PC completely
Restart the PC. Windows will find new hardware (the IDE controller) and reinstall it, together with any IDE device, including the CD.
N/A

Thanks for replying. Your suggestion : Go to control panel -> system -> device manager -> hard disk controllers . Remove master controller.
Master controller is it Primary Ultra Controller? I have had terrible problems before deleting things I should not have touched.
Community Veteran

I recommend you go into windows safe mode before deleting any disk controllers. Then delete both primary and secondary and reboot (sometimes deleting them can cause a lockup). Then just reboot and they should be detected again and the drivers reinstalled.

But first delete any DOS mode drivers as detailed in the posts above.
N/A

A lock up can occur if you remove the controller in normal mode. However, a quick press of the reset button will normally be all that is needed.

Trying to do this in safe mode, can result in more than one hard drive controller being listed. If this is the case, remove ALL the hard drive controllers listed.

In normal windows mode, there will be a Bus master controller and a primary and secondary controller listed under hard drive controllers. You can either remove the primary and secondary or the master. Removing the master will also remove the primary and secondary.
N/A

So nearly. My driver is now visible and when I first went on I put in an audio cd and it recognised the disc. I then took out the disc and put in a game. The driver now comes up with message a device attached to the system is not functioning. I deleted and rebooted all instructions again but same message comes up. The other cd rom is a cd/rw but has not worked in a while. I also have a pen drive attached to teh system which is included in my hard disk controller menu but it is working ok.
N/A

Does the cdrw show up as a drive. What is not working with the cdrw ??

cdr and cdrw have pretty low mtbf's (mean time before failure). Both could be knackered. Especially considering the low quality Tiny have been blessed with.
N/A

In devive manager both cdr and cdrw appear and according to this both are working properly. The cdrw will not eject and has no lights flickering on it at any time. The cdr is a relacement that I had to get a few years ago as the Tiny cdr went after 14 months (the first cdrw went after 2 months. Talk about good quality workmanship!!!) The cdr is showing presently and can run some software but then comes up with the error that a device attached to the system is not functioning and I have to uninstall and reinstall drives again.
N/A

The cdrw sounds knackered. The drive controller has gone but IDE interface is still active. Remove it and chuck it away.
As for the cdr, it sounds as if this is on it's way out as well. The IDE interface is going down, I guess. However, take the case covers off and check all cables are not loose, both to drive and to motherboard. Just in case it is loose connections.
IDE based DVD writers can now be picked up for less than £50
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=54955
IDE based CD rewriters for less than £20
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=90709
N/A

Thanks for all your help it was brilliant. I know my computer is on its way out. I will try the link and get a new drive (I hope I can install without ruining all the components). I am hoping to upgrade and didn't know whether to contact someone I know who builds systems or get a machine from Dell who I hear are quite good. I know most of the specs that I want but unsure of some aspects. Sorry I always seem to ramble on when posting instead of putting clear concise points.
N/A

build your own cos they rule.. u spec to what you want and you can get the exact part.. its also some times cheeper

u also get uber cool case Cheesy

down side : buildint it - this is easy and also fun
down side : no "support" ... you have google Wink

see its always fun

if you want any advice feel free to drop me a pm, i build them for a living Cheesy

Buz
N/A

At times I have had a drive mapping problem when a USB pen drive is inserted, mainly on my work laptop (which is connected to a Lan and many mapped drives). Maybe Win98 is trying to assign the same drive letter (D: E: ?) to both the CD & the pen drive. Try reooting without the pen drive & see what happens.

Jeff