Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - 19" monitors

pawhe955
Grafter

Help - 19" monitors

Hi all,

Have been using a single 17" LCD monitor running at it's native 1280x1024 for some time now. I want more desktop "real-estate" (to see more of a document onscreen during editing, etc.), so started thinking about 19" monitors - but having had a quick look around, it seems that the ("standard") native resolution for most 19" monitors is still only 1280x1024. So it seems that I wouldn't be gaining anything by going with a 19" screen.

Has anyone got experience with 19" monitors that do better than 1280x1024? Recommendations even? I was expecting something like 1600x1200?

(Currently using a GeForce 6600; mainly static document editing, etc., although some more graphic intensive use like FarCry, Colin McRae; no real video requirementsWink

Any/all advice welcome. Thanks in advance,

paksw
15 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Help - 19" monitors

I got this acer 19" widescreen a month or so ago. It's 1440 x 900, and I find it quite good for looking at things side by side - spreadsheets, web pages etc. I was attracted initially by the price, and must say the quality both for browsing/computer type jobs and watching movies, is excellent.

It's well reviewed on amazon and ebuyer, I think.

It replaced a 15 inch one, so I can't say how it compares with a full size 17 or 19 incher, but I like it.
Walrus
Grafter

Help - 19" monitors

You will have to move up to 20" or 20" widescreen to get more 'real estate'. The lack of 'resolution variety' is due to the fact that most TFTs are manfactured by a small number of fabs.

You should be aware that any games will require more graphics horsepower to run at these higher resolutions. That said, modern TFTs seem to be a lot happier running at lower resolutions without the pixelated look of the past.

The next logical upgrade for you would probably be 20" widescreen.

For a comfortable 1,680 x 1,050 at a good price:-
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/94163/lg-l204wt.html
N/A

Help - 19" monitors

Theres a 19" monitor for sale here. (PN For Sale Forum)
Alecto
Grafter

Help - 19" monitors

That's a CRT, not LCD.
N/A

Help - 19" monitors

The OP said he has a 17" LCD which he wants to replace with a 19" monitor.
I can't see any mention of wanting a 19" LCD, just wanting a 19" monitor.

/sticks tongue out and blows raspberry.

OK, I admit it, I didn't realise, should've known with it being so cheap. Shockedops:
pawhe955
Grafter

Help - 19" monitors

Thanks to all for the replies. Given the resolution of the recommendations (which both look good), one further question:

I currently run a (decent-ish?) GeForce 6600, driving a Samsung SyncMaster 171P, which has a max resolution of "1280 x 1024" - hence when the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box (in Display Properties->Advanced->Monitor), the selectable resolution tops out at "1280 x 1024".

I assumed that if I un-check this box, I would be shown ALL the resolutions that the Graphics Card would drive "natively" - but neither "1440 x 900" and "1680 x 1050" are listed. After 1280x1024, it continues:

- 1360 x 768 (HDTV resolution?)
- 1600 x 900
- 1600 x 1024
- 1600 x 1200 plus others, all the way up to:
- 2048 x 1536

Are "1440 x 900" and "1680 x 1050" resolutions not listed because the card can't actually drive at these? (Is that how Windows Graphics Drivers work?). In which case, if I purchased either of the suggested monitors, would I end up with a fuzzy display as the monitor compensates for being driven at resolution that is not native to the monitor? (Although I guess the "1680 x 1050" monitor could display the "1600 x 1024" resolution sharply, as long as it doesn't try and stretch the display to fit the full screen...).

Or, with the appropriate monitor hooked up, would the Graphics Card(/driver) recognise it, and be able to drive the monitor at the native resolution of the monitor...??

...and I thought that buying a new monitor was going to be easy part of upgrading.....

thanks,
Alecto
Grafter

Help - 19" monitors

That card will work fine with them.
They aren't displayed I suspect because your current monitor can't do those resolutions, not because the card can't.
N/A

Help - 19" monitors

They aren't displayed I suspect because your current monitor can't do those resolutions, not because the card can't.

Thats spot on ^

Although with a 6600, gaming might be a problem at very high resolutions. It will probably run the games etc, but at very mediocre settings.
pawhe955
Grafter

Help - 19" monitors

sorry, me again...

But surely the restriction of only listing the resolutions that the monitor can display was removed, when I un-ticked the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" check-box (in Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->Monitor) - otherwise what's the purpose of having this option in Display Properties?

Apologies for being pedantic - but this is real hard earned cash that we're talking about spending...... !! Thanks,
N/A

Help - 19" monitors

I have a laptop with a widescreen, so without a monitor connected, it will only show me widescreen resolutions, whether the box is ticked or not.

Once I have my monitor connected, hey presto, I can now choose between widescreen formats and standard ones.

Like lots of windows checkboxes, it doesn't always do as you expect logically.

If Phear says it'll do it, he's the man to know when it comes to graphics cards! (Big up the Phear Wink )
Alecto
Grafter

Help - 19" monitors

O Ye of Little Faith :lol:

I wouldn't believe ME either, but I'd believe Phear.

Why don't you look on Google where lots of people have asked the same question, and others have replied that they have said card and monitor running together. Tongue Or ask the question of your card manufacturer on his website.
pawhe955
Grafter

Help - 19" monitors

Sorry - didn't mean to come across as doubting.... it was an obvious mistake (never to be repeated) to assume that a Windows function does what it's meant to... Shockedops:

And to make my humiliation complete Wink - although I didn't find much on Google (I had tried - honest...), after further searching on the nVidia Wesbite, I found that I can enter custom resolution's via the nVidia driver's GUI - which I did (for the native resolutions of the two suggested monitors), and (after "checking that the entered mode is safe") it accepted both.... Cheesy

Now to check out those reviews..... thanks to all. Cheers,
N/A

Help - 19" monitors

didn't mean to come across as doubting

I wouldn't worry about it - I doubt half of what we tell each other is true for even half the time.

Most of the time any mockery is made tongue in cheek too - a lot easier to do when typing that talking, I'll tell you.

See you around. :lol:
Alecto
Grafter

Help - 19" monitors

There are 152 reviews of my 19 incher on Amazon.co.uk, including one by someone who says she's a pensioner and set it up herself!!
Don't know about that, I just plugged mine in. :lol:

Mind you, if you're flush, the other one looks good too, and it's even bigger.

I ran a games tester recommended by Phear on mine - 3dMark03 - free version - and the graphics quality was amazing.

Let us know how you get on, and now that you've started posting on the forums, keep at it.

Tongue