cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headz - UP PC Linux OS 2007

Phil_Collins
Grafter

I have been playing around with PC Linux OS 2007 Disro live CD for the last couple of hours, It is really awesome , at the moment I have XP on one partition and Mandriva Linux on another I am seriously thinking about dumping the huge Madriva OS install and installing PC Linux.

Anyone else tried PC Linux ?
7 REPLIES
lingbob
Grafter

Yep ..... go for it! :lol:
Aterlatus
Grafter

Personally I'm a big fan of gentoo. If you've not tried it give it a go - got some of the best documentation behind it that I've ever seen for a distro Smiley

Rather than download precompiled packages it downloads sources and compiles them for you - takes a bit longer to install things that way but you know everything's tuned for your system Smiley
Phil_Collins
Grafter

Thanks , I'll have a look at gentoo I have been happy with Mandriva which I have been using since the Mandrake days I was just impressed with size and fuctions of pclinuxos
Community Veteran

I was just impressed with size and fuctions of pclinuxos

Then have a look at Puppy Linux as well; it's similar in spirit to PCLOS (although not at all in appearance) and there is a wonderfully helpful and friendly user community. You can also install it and use it regularly without disturbing an existing Linux or Windows system.
www.puppylinux.com
Phil_Collins
Grafter

I was just impressed with size and fuctions of pclinuxos

Then have a look at Puppy Linux as well; it's similar in spirit to PCLOS (although not at all in appearance) and there is a wonderfully helpful and friendly user community. You can also install it and use it regularly without disturbing an existing Linux or Windows system.
www.puppylinux.com

Oh yes indeed puppy is great!! I have it installed on pen drive including a swap file .. :roll:
lingbob
Grafter

Personally I'm a big fan of gentoo. If you've not tried it give it a go - got some of the best documentation behind it that I've ever seen for a distro Smiley

I d/loaded the LiveCD ISO last night and burnt me a copy and before I fired it up, I had a look at the docs on the CD. As you say, the documentation is excellent although I find it a bit complicated. I then fired up the LiveCD and once it had booted, I went cold - I hate Gnome! Sorry.
Rather than download precompiled packages it downloads sources and compiles them for you - takes a bit longer to install things that way but you know everything's tuned for your system Smiley

I like that idea a lot because every distro that I've tried installs a ton of stuff I just don't need (or want). I would much rather have a system that is tailored specifically to my own needs. If I were to have a serious look at Gentoo then perhaps the Minimal Installation CD would be a better bet than the Live CD. As I said earlier, I hate Gnome and much prefer KDE so I just wouldn't want Gnome on my system at all. Having said all this though, I'm very happy with PCLinuxOS.
Aterlatus
Grafter

I'm a KDE man myself too. First thing I throw on once I got gentoo installed ;p

Gnome feels too much like AmigaOS for me. lol