Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HaxDoor - i think not

jabb0
Grafter

HaxDoor - i think not

Hey folks,
My mate just threw over his laptop, which i helped him pick (he done all the paying himself).
Now he has had this problem from the year dot, which was only about 3/4 months ago. That is that it dies out on a BSOD.
He took it to another friend who works in a compo shop (not that that gives him any great standing on its own) who diagnosed memory failure without even looking at it ( he must be good Tongue ), so my firend (here ill give him a name, he is called jonny, really!!!) rang off to the dudes he bought it off and explained things, they naturally tried to dis-suade him from giving it back, he was having none of it but agreed to do a reinstall. So before he started that, he was talkin to the compo shop guy again who by now has changed his diagnosis to a device driver (good job this guy didnt want to be a doctor). Then jonny reinstalled his compo. no go.

Now i have been around compos for a while, and i know that if its breaking down, first port of call is to update everything, most importantly the drivers cos thats prolly where the problem is. I also know that if there is something wrong with memory it dont start. So one thing i know for definite is never ever ever go to that compo shop dude with anything that resembles a compo, cos hell prolly jus diagnose it with terminal cancer and give me asprin (and yes were still talkin about the computers here).

So finally jonny came to me, i dunno, i just think he didnt want to bother me or summit.
Now credit where credit is due, jonny is by no means a nerd - in fact i thought the laptop would be in bits by now, but no, he has traced a possible problem via error logs and stuff.
He got thsi link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;903251&sd=ee
which he says describes his problem to a T, even down to all those weird numbers from reports being the same as what his compo is saying - which can be no coincidence.

But he didnt want to try the solution all by himself, which prolly was a good idea sayin as the registry needs to be edited - now he can just blame me Sad

Now i started the solution from the above link, but on the few steps it directs me to a registry key and tells me to delete stuff, except "stuff" aint there.

heres the stuff:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\drct16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\draw32

I thought it would be an idea to seek further help at this point. Because niether of those entries exist, does that means it is not the HaxDoor virus is not on this system? or should i follow the rest of the steps just to be sure?

To be fair this is an intermittent problem, no single fied trigger for the BSOD, it can happen anytime from startup (even during startup the thing may crash out)

The fact that he reinstalled it, (I talked him through this over the fone, and we done a complete reformat of the drive) and the problem still persists can only mean one of 2 things, either there is a hardware fault or the virus is on his installation cds.

It is prolly also worth mentioning that every virus/adware/spyware program under the sun comes up with nothing.

I think i have managed to talk about the most of it, sorry for the epistle.
19 REPLIES
N/A

HaxDoor - i think not

If it is under warranty then wipe it ,re-install the OS and then hand it back!

If not, then i would do a clean install and leave it on constantly and send any error's listed in Event viewer to Microsoft- they might be able to point you in the right direction. To be honest, random faults can be a nightmare Shocked
N/A

HaxDoor - i think not

could be dodgy memory -- run memtest86
could be a failing psu (loose cable?)
could be a faulty hard disk (doesnt spin up correctly)

in otherwords send it back!
jabb0
Grafter

HaxDoor - i think not

Getting the general feeling that I as in ME wont be fit to fix this.

Well if it is goin back it has to be wiped, which means if i cripple windoze accidently it dont matter - so i think ill try the steps to manualy remove the virus - that most likely doesnt exist.

Any other ideas?
jabb0
Grafter

HaxDoor - i think not

Ok ive been running memtest86 for almost an hour, done about 6 passes and nothing.

Is this good? i dont think so, i would rather have an answer.
Is it now safe to say the memory is fine?

I would like to know what the problem is now i have spent this long on it, my next port of call is scandisk (prolly should have done this first).

But if it dont do nuttin, is there anything else i could try... bare in mind i aint gettin no screwdriver to no laptop... ATX cases i could do with me eyes closed, but laptops nooooo way!!!!

cheers
N/A

HaxDoor - i think not

Hi,

Taking Laptops apart can be a tricky and expensive thing to do if things break.
If this is under warranty take it back, if it isn't get a manual first from the manufacturers site.
jabb0
Grafter

HaxDoor - i think not

Dude, this thing is stayin shut tight man, no danger of me gettin the screwdrivers out dont worry.

MS keep sending a report back saying that its driver issues, wots the chances?
if you can gimme anywhere close to 50/50 ill reinstall, ill prolly have to do it real slow to make sure i dont introduce the bad driver (if indeed it is drivers).
Either way ill have to reinstall, if i am still gettin BSOD's on a fresh install then its a one way ticket back to the warehouse.
N/A

HaxDoor - i think not

Memtest usually is best run over a good 12 hours for a definate result, and even then its not definate lol :?

If I was you I would just run as many scans as is possible. AVG, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, Ad-Aware Remover, a Registry Cleaner, ScanDisk, Defrag and then run Hi-Jack This and post the log file here.

-----------------------------------------------Last Resort Option

Also you could try doing this:

Go to My Computer on your Desktop and right-click it and select Properties.
From there head into the Advanced Tab and find the section called "Startup and Recovery".
Click the Settings button in that section to open up another window.
Head down to the System Failure section and un-click the "Automatically Restart" checkbox, you could actually un-tick everything in there and tell it to create "(none) log.

Now obviously this is something you should do if you cant diagnose the issue and is probably a last resort. Sometimes Windows causes errors itself for possible hardware failure reasons that are extremely difficult to detect (as you said its a laptop, you cant really go inside and test temperatures etc). So sometimes stopping the auto-restart and error logging often fixes Windows over-protective nature, of course if other errors appear you cant actually trace them anymore.. But like I said, a last resort on a dying computer, sometimes makes a real difference.

Definatly post a HiJackThis log though as it could be something very simple that is merely embedded deep down inside the registry.
jabb0
Grafter

HaxDoor - i think not

Heya,
Yip i have run all of those, still nuttin.

However i downloaded hijackthis and ran it, heres the log, too much for one page.
http://www.jabb0.cunningdesigns.com/files/vault/jabb0/hijackthis.log
What do you think?

cheers

PS that is an excellent web page, very nice chap that. so r u 4 pointing me there, should come in real handy.
N/A

HaxDoor - i think not

I cant actually see anything there that may be causing any issues.. Personally if I was you I would just backup, format and re-install. If the problem still persists after a full format then you know its hardware related for definate.

Sorry I cannot help any further.
N/A

HaxDoor - i think not

Jabbo,

If you have BSOD's after a wipe and re-install it is either hardware or hardware/driver issue. You can rule out spyware, virus etc if it hasn't been connected to the net after the re-install.

Let us know how you get on Smiley
jabb0
Grafter

HaxDoor - i think not

Shocked It can still be a driver issue after a reinstall...

I was hoping that after i reinstall, I could test the bare minimum setup. at which point if the BSOD's still there i could remove the drivers automagically installed by winXP one by one till it wont work because it doesnt recognise any devices anymore, and at that point i could reasonably safely diagnose a hardwae fault.

Does that sound like plan?

PS 13hours and counting with memtest86 - still no errors - can i stop now? Tongue
N/A

HaxDoor - i think not

You have to remember most of the major drivers that cause these issues are installed during WinXP installation and you would still have the same problem unless you can pinpoint the exact device. Usually people suffer from driver conflicts after installing a new peice of hardware, Laptops come pre-tested so only external devices can cause conflicts (USB devices etc)

If you have updated to all the latest drivers for everything then it should be fine, you should get the drivers directly from the manufacturer of the laptop rather than ones from the specific manufacturer of each hardware device. If this makes no difference its not a driver conflict, I personally think its more likely that its had alot of use the hard drive has bad sectors. A full format may fix this or it may not, its the best way to go because you will spend far far longer troubleshooting something that a full format and clean install may fix in less than an hour.

If it doesnt fix it, least then you know its something wrong with the Laptop hardware, most likely going to be the hard drive if the memory has ran so long error free on memtest.
jabb0
Grafter

HaxDoor - i think not

cool,
So if these things are pretested, then a fresh install without any updates or modifications of any kind just winXP and the basic laptop with nothing plugged into the thing, should not produce BSOD's because of the pretesting stuff. At which point i can blame hardware most definitly :?:

The whole memtest thing, ill not be workin on the laptop again till i get Visual Studio compiling right, which could get quite painful, so there aint no harm in letting it run for a while yet. :?: although arguably pointless after this length of time.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

HaxDoor - i think not

Shocked It can still be a driver issue after a reinstall...

I was hoping that after i reinstall, I could test the bare minimum setup. at which point if the BSOD's still there i could remove the drivers automagically installed by winXP one by one till it wont work because it doesnt recognise any devices anymore, and at that point i could reasonably safely diagnose a hardwae fault.

Does that sound like plan?

Sounds like a good plan.... just one problem.... a driver error does NOT and never has meant the hardware is the problem.

PS 13hours and counting with memtest86 - still no errors - can i stop now? Tongue

No.