cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you seen the true cost of upgrading to Vista

Community Veteran

I just searched for Windows Vista Permuim Upgrade £149.00 the basic go nowhere versions is approx £99

I was thinking up upgrading but at £150 pounds there is no chance. I have heard all the MS excuses re the cost of production . They have at least one plant in Ireland to make the CD's why do thye think they can stiff us for so much more than US or Canadian buyers need to pay.

I was looking forward to upgrading now I can't afford it and won't be moving to the new system.

UK Amazon £149.00

USA Pricing
USA Amazon $154.99 UK conversion = 80.0361477 British pounds (google conversion)

German Pricing

229.00 Euros = 153.376194 British pounds

Canadain Pricing

189.99 Canadian dollars = 83.3843211 British pounds

Can't the UK Government take on companies like this where there is clearly such a big difference in pricing depending on where you live.

A

Moderators Note by Daniel (no7olivier) edited post to shorten long links
12 REPLIES
Midville
Grafter

You could always get an OEM copy if you building a new rig, or an upgrade.

Can be found here:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=33&catid=20
N/A

To be fair, its about the same cost as XP was, and its priced competitively with OSX and the like, remember you will use it every day for aprox 5 years if not more, that boils down to 8p/day -- not really that expensive is it.

Other tools that you would buy, probably work out more than that as your not using it every day
N/A

Its the same with Office 2007 its a lot more expensive in the uk than the states.

Dont forget you may need to upgrade your hardware if you wan to use Aero etc.

Linux is still a lot cheaper it cost £0 and I think a lot of people will be going down that route
Community Veteran

I keep trying different versions of linux as I'm kean to give it a shot but I get stuck when I need to compile something to make a piece of hardware work. The fact my linksys usb device dosn't appear to work is also annoying. IN Mandrake One Linux it's recoginsed and recorded by Linux but it has down as a scanner. I cannot work out how to get it from being a scanner to being a wireless access point.

So Linux may be a god option but not for people like me who do like some of the things to work without resorting to programming.

If someone knows how to get it working then I'd be grateful. I'vr tried the nidwrapper thing but again got nowhere.

A
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I agree with the points about Linux - personally I have not used it since I was at Uni and it certainly has come a long way since then what with the automated installs and desktops. I remember having to modify configuration files just to get X-Windows to start with my Matrox Mystique graphics card - so I think you can tell how long ago that was Smiley

The use-Windows every day anthology is not quite correct. While it is true that I, and I am sure many of us on these forums do use Windows every day - I certainly know a lot of people who don't, who not being in IT backgrounds only really use a PC on an occasional basis. It is a bit silly the offset between OEM and non-OEM versions is so vast, so to buy/build a new PC will to some extent be subsided by the reduced cost. Chances are that unless your PC is recent, then running Vista on a new PC would be a good move anyway.

I still find Linux a bit of a pain to do simple things, like I still haven't managed to get bloody LILO to dual-boot with XP. I am not exactly a novice at PC's and have basic knowledge of UNIX/Linux, having used in my previous employer. But I still have difficultly in getting it to do certain things. Sure it is straightforward once you know, and it just takes time. Its come a long way, but I still find various things difficult - I think once these holes are filled then it will become a more serious competitor.

I think if I had a bill of £150, I would seriously consider switching - as a lot of the things I have with Linux, I could resolve if I put more of an effort in to finding an FAQ! When I consider what I use my PC for (which really is only the basics) then there is no reason to consider it.

Although I don't like the activation having become more of a PITA, I don't mind a simple check - but if I had a screen popping up every time I changed a bit of hardware then it would soon get on my goat. They can be as fancy as they like with the new VLK keys - but it will of course be cracked, and it won't detect supposed legal copies used outside of the EULA (e.g. academic versions, OEM and MSDN copies) where the criteria for those licenses don't apply.

Linux has a lot of power, and soon there will become a time when I will put the effort in to work out how to configure it properly, since I have no doubt once done it would do all I need in a PC which Windows does already - without the hefty price tag.

Not even used Vista yet - maybe I'll have a play with my MSDN subscription copy Smiley
shellsong
Grafter

I thought most modern Linux distros more or less automatically set up dual/multi boot up for you with no hassle as long as you install the Linux distro after the M$ OS (Windoze installs tend to think that anything they don't know about including more recent versions of Windoze than themselves don't deserve houseroom so they overwrite the MBR)

I have Mepis on one PC and Kubuntu on my laptop peacefully coexisting with XP via Grub which in each case was installed by the Linux distro with no problems
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

If you want to read a thoroughly negative report on Vista have a look here http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/index.html
Community Veteran

The true cost of Vista should not be measured in the $ value, but in the loss of freedom.

Chilly
N/A

The fact my linksys usb device dosn't appear to work is also annoying. IN Mandrake One Linux it's recoginsed and recorded by Linux but it has down as a scanner. I cannot work out how to get it from being a scanner to being a wireless access point.

Have you tried www.mandrivausers.org?
Community Veteran

Cheers for the link. I had looked at the support on the main website but it was going to cost me money just to ask a question. This site never came up un any of my searc results.

My PC PSU in my second machine just blew so it'll be afew days until i try again.

2nd psu to go on a fortnight. 1st one was 10 years old the latest was only 4. Strange thing is it's cheaper to buy a psu with case than it is to buy a psu alone.

if it's not one thing it's another.

A
grimreality
Grafter

Don't really understand why the topic managed to go from Vista, and the cost here compared to Canada or the States to Linux.

But first point is you have to look not at the exchange rate as you do not get paid in Pounds in Canada or the States but at the percentage of salary you have to pay for this OS.

As for Linux why in the world are you trying to use Mandrake regardless of the version. It all went downhill with them when they merged a couple of years ago.

I currently have Fedora Core 6 running happily on a P3 1Ghz no issues for any hardware. SUSE running on a 600Mhz with no issue. And the primary using XP solely for the fact that I cannot get a sensible Video Editing software on Linux yet.