cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware upgrade

Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Hardware upgrade

I've finally decided that I might have to upgrade my RAM because Vista loves munching it all up. I'm just confused as I've not done a RAM upgrade for about seven years. How can I check how many pins I need? Shockedops:

ALso, I'm looking at adding a DVD Writer and an additional internal hard drive, but I've no idea how to do it or what spec I need.

I've got a Dell, but I can't figure out what motherboard I've got to find out all of the information I need. Could anyone help me out at all?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Hardware upgrade

With Dell if you find your service tag on go onto dells site you can download all the software your need and it will tell you the specs etc.

Its more expensive but buying your bits from Dell means they will work. Some Dells have there own memory and nothing else will fit.

If you want to buy your parts from somewhere else its safer to take the memory in to the shop so they can match it as its not only the pins but speed etc.

Depending how old the pc is its often cheaper to buy a new one as a new 64 bits pc can be had for £329 from
http://www.fastekcomputers.co.uk/shop/computer-systems-tower-systems-without-monitor-c-21_74.html

If its an old pc then you will be getting a old ide drive which wont be much good if you get a new pc later with SATA.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Hardware upgrade

I've logged into my Dell order (my PC has just turned a year old) and I'm not sure to tell what motherboard I have. I'm guessing that it might be an "Intel 945G Express" as it's the only thing on my order that I (the novice) think sounds like it might be a motherboard, but I might be wrong.
holdtight
Grafter

Hardware upgrade

Download and run CPUZ this will supply you with all the info you could need regarding make of board, chipset, memory etc

You can also run the crucial system scanner which will provide you with a list of compatible memory modules for your system
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Hardware upgrade

Thanks for the links. I'm still trying to work out how many pins my RAM has.
holdtight
Grafter

Hardware upgrade

Depends on how old your dell is and also which model
what is it ?
the crucial scanner should have told you exactly what type you need

It could be 232 pin Rambus, 168 pin SDRAM or 240 pin DDR

What does CPUZ say it is and what is the model of motherboard
with this information its just a matter of going to google to find out
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Hardware upgrade

Sorry to be a pain in the neck.

With CPU-Z it says that the motherboard is a Dell 0HJ054 and that the chipset is an Intel i945G/GZ. Is it the motherboard or chipset that I should search for?
holdtight
Grafter

Hardware upgrade

I could be wrong so double check but i believe the i945G/GZ is on a socket 775 motherboard
and uses 240 pin DDR

Did you run the crucial util and if you let me know which model dell
it is as asked before i can tell you exactly what you need

This site here is your best friend when searching for this kind of info
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Hardware upgrade

I ran Crucial and I've come to the informed conclusion that I'm now after 240 pin RAM. In honesty, I'm sodding off the eBay that I was toying with initially, and I'm going to buy direct from Crucial as they know what they're on about.