cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware recomendations for a noisey line

N/A

Good Evening Everyone,

Plus customer support have recommended I speak to you...

I really hope that somebody can help me.

Our Internet connection at home has always been a little temperamental and once a day or so the router would need to be restarted.

Since last Sunday (03-12-06) I have found it is extremely difficult to connect to the Internet, a lot more so then usual, and restarting the router doesn't make a difference.

I contacted plus who raised a fault and checked the line, the result was as follows

"The noise level on your line is showing as being 63.5dB.

Greater than 60dB is what is termed as a 'Long Line' which means that the line runs a long distance from your exchange to your premises, and can affect the connection so over 60dB BT can provide a 512k connection but this can still have problems."

Its now near impossible to connect to our broadband service.

We've tried swapping micro-filters, plugging the router directly into different lines etc

Can anybody recommend hardware that is less susceptible to a noisy line, we are currently using a belkin F5D7633-4Av1

If you're after anymore information that might help

Thanks in advance
11 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Can you show a full set of line stats preferably with the router plugged straight into the test socket of your BT master if you have the split face NTE5 type of master? This will help eliminate the effects of your house wiring
N/A

These are the results of the line test conducted by plus, with the router plugged into a normal line...

(internal)
woosh test results

xDSL Status Check Analysis
OK.

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
NTE In Service
NTE Power On
Bypass Not Activated
MUX In Service
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 39.5 dB
Margin 21 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 117987709
Speed 288 k
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 63.5 dB Long Line: please be aware that a >60db result does not necessarily indicate a Line Fault
Margin 19 dB
Errored Seconds 11
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 789221016
Speed 576 k

How do we go about doing a line test with the router in the test socket? I have pluged the router into the test socket and still getting a line noise of 63db?

Thanks for your help
shellsong
Grafter

It's not so much your attenuation that's important-- that will stay about the same no matter where in your home phone circuitry it is plugged. It is mainly useful as an indicator of how long your line is and what sort of synch rate you might be able to achieve. It indicates that your line is about 4.5 Km long (rough estimate obtained by dividing the attenuation by 14) and if you look at http://www.beforum.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?f=2&m=3875 you will see that at that attenuation the average synch rate is 1 Mbps and the max is just over 2 Mbps

The important thing about what happens when you plug into the test socket is what happens to the downstream Noise Margin-- as it is the 19 dB registered indicates that a MaxDSL connection could posibly achieve a synch rate of about 2.5 Mbps if fluctuations in noise level are not too great and 1 Mbps ought to be achievable on an ordinary IPStream connection with a margin of about 12 dB

So does plugging into the test socket improve the 19 dB noise margin to anything higher?
N/A

Tonight I have managed to connect to our broadband and these are the figures im getting through our router for our connection.

Downstream Upstream
Data rate 576 288
Noise margin 22.9 18.0
Output power 15.6 12.1
Attenuation 63.0 31.5
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Elsewhere on these formums others have commented that Netgear routers such as the one I use are good with poor line quality.
N/A

Thanks for that quartconsulting. When we first got broadband I think It was the Netgear 834GT, but I found it to be worse at holding the connection when compared to the Belkin.

I also think it had an overheat problem, we swapped the unit but the same thing happened. Do you think I was unlucky or could it just be that model?

Are netgear usually highly thought of to deal with this problem?
Community Veteran

As one BT engineer I once spoke to remarked about Netgear:

"They could sync over a five mile long wet piece of string"

Which is pretty much my feeling with them in general.

B.
N/A

I have a poor line and used to have trouble staying connected till I changed to a netgear router, since the change I cant remeber the last time I wasnt logged in
N/A

what model are you netgear are you using?
would you presume its down to the router more then anything else?
N/A

Im using a DG834 v2 Netgear Router and after having the problems that I had I would say that having the right router has made a big diffrence in my case.
I guess theres no way of knowing if the same will be true for you untill you give it a go

[moderators note by Daniel (no7olivier) triplicate postings removed!]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Just a word of warning.
in this thread there are problems being reported with the Netgear 834.
For a dodgy line the Speedtouch has several advantages not least the ability to tweak the snr default using the DMTtool.
If you want to look into I further have a look at the multiple threads in the DSL Hardware Discussion on thinkbroadband.com