cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware or software ffirewall

N/A

Which is better or safer in security wise, is it software i.e. McAfee or Zone Alarm etc or hardware like router

At the moment my router has built in firewall which i've configured. Can i get rid of my software based firewall or is it best to have a s/w firewall
7 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

You need both as the hardware one only stops stuff coming in, whereas the software one will monitor stuff going out for you, making sure you have no application you don't know about accessing the internet.
N/A

Oh seen at the moment im using McAfee and the CPU process is like always above 50. This slows my PC down by miles. Is thier anything i can do or get a different firewall thats more faster and effiecient
Alecto
Grafter

I used to use Norton, but like Mcafee it was very bloated.
Recently ditched it for Sygate personal firewall, which is free and takes up few resources, runs without bothering me too much, and seems to do the job.
It is recommended by the tut people in the forum.
Worth a try, I'd say.

And switch off the Windows firewall if you've got that on.
Community Veteran

I like zonealarm, but it doesn't like my main PC, so I use sygate on that, much of a muchness, ZA more userfriendly though.
N/A

Thanks ill give sygate a go.

Also can any of yuou reccommend why lately my cpu process the green status is always full. Am i infested with some viruses or spyware...ive dun spyware scan using adware and removed as much as it can detect but its still 100% usualy.
Alecto
Grafter

Try "spybot search & destroy" and the Windows XP spyware checker as well.
People seem to use all three.

As well as scanning with your antivirus program, of course.
Community Veteran

Also can any of yuou reccommend why lately my cpu process the green status is always full. Am i infested with some viruses or spyware...ive dun spyware scan using adware and removed as much as it can detect but its still 100% usualy.

Did this start after you installed something? I had to take a look at a m8's PC that was doind this, so I checked the "running processes" (Ctrl Alt Del> hit the processes tab on the Windows Task Manager) and found it was Microsoft Antispyware that was using the CPU! I uninstalled it, then reinstalled and all was fine again! Smiley

So check what process is using all your CPU and then "google" it to see what prog the process belongs to! Wink

BTW I use zone alarm and find it does the job no prob! Wink