cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Advice Wanted

csogilvie
Grafter

Hardware Advice Wanted

In the next few months I wish to purchase a computer that will be used as a replacement for a laptop which currently acts as a Web Server, Mail Server, FTP Server, CVS Server and a few other things running Mandrake Linux (probably 9.2) and I'm looking for advice on what to buy.

As well as running that the machine needs to be relatively quiet as it will be on all the time and in the room with me, have at least a 20 GB hard disk, 256MB Ram and a processort between 300MHz and 1GHz. I would prefer to not buy it with a monitor, although it will need a graphics card and a NIC.

It doesn't need to be a brand new system, and I can add a NIC myself.

Does anyone have any advice on where I should be looking and any URLs?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hardware Advice Wanted

I always say build a comuputer yourself if you have the knowledge. Everyone I know has had problems after x amount of time with a pre-built system - yet mine (home made) has never broken down.

As for prices, you could take a look at the computer components section of uk.pricerunner.com - I find it a helpful site.

Oh, and if you want it to be quiet, you could investigate alternative cooling options such as with water, though they'll push the price up.

Thomas
csogilvie
Grafter

Hardware Advice Wanted

I always say build a comuputer yourself if you have the knowledge. Everyone I know has had problems after x amount of time with a pre-built system - yet mine (home made) has never broken down.

I can cope with adding a NIC to it and a Hard Drive, but I don't think i've got the knowledge to actually build the whole machine Sad
Community Veteran

Hardware Advice Wanted

Hmm... most motherboards come with decent instructions to get you through the process. I say it's worth a try - but then again, I'm me. Smiley

Thomas
csogilvie
Grafter

Hardware Advice Wanted

Hmm... most motherboards come with decent instructions to get you through the process.

Hmm, I'll think about it.
I say it's worth a try - but then again, I'm me. Smiley

Funny... I thought you were Thomas.

(I'll get my coat now I think)
michaelscott
Grafter

Hardware Advice Wanted

Sites such as www.morgancomputers.co.uk often have older refurbished base units (without monitors or OS)