cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard drive might be dying - U know any software for testing?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Hi all

Got a problem with my main desktop beast. It's become extremely slow to boot and seems to be struggling to read from the hard drive (IE when I got music playing and bring up word the speed of the entire system slows down and the music starts echoing... while at the same time processor speed increases!).

I've tried removing each memory module and running on one and both of those seem ok. The bad bit is that the HDD light is continually on when booting up - Not flickering like normal. It seems that the HD simply cannot read data quickly enough to supply it to the main system.

Does anyone know of any decent free software to put my drives through their paces to determine their health?

TIA
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
10 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

I dont know of any specific software for doing this apart from the usual benchmarking apps

I use Speedfan which has a SMART tab with in depth analysis which tells you the general health of your drives

Might be worth a look it seems to be fairly accurate
Community Veteran

Yeah I also got speedfan but wasn't sure how good it was in all honesty for drive analysis.

I thought there were some 'pro' programs out there for that...?

EDIT:
Just used speedfan for indepth online analysis and everything is good or very good... except this:

Warning: Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate is below the average limits (117-199).

Whats that mean?
holdtight
Grafter

Its a cyclic redundancy check which means its finding errors in the data transfer or drive memory blocks

A quick google search shows up this

You could also try using Diskcheckup ive not used it but its free

Personally i would be thinking about backing up and replacing it before that head in hands moment arrives Sad
lingbob
Grafter

Re: Hard drive might be dying - U know any software for test

Does anyone know of any decent free software to put my drives through their paces to determine their health?

Most hard drive manufacturers offer free diagnostic utilities for their hard drives. I have Maxtor and Fujitsu hard drives and I have manufacturers diagnostic utilities for both. I d/loaded them from their respective Web sites. You don't say what make your hard drive is?
Community Veteran

Yeah idiot aren't I!

Both are Maxtor
lingbob
Grafter

You should be able to d/load the Maxtor diagnostic utility from their Web site (now taken over by Seagate).
holdtight
Grafter

Indeed you can right Here
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Spinrite has a no-quibble money back policy and might save you the cost/downtime of a return and replacement.

Not free, but a great product all the same.
N/A

I have a collection of utilities, usually on a bootable 3½" floppy, for testing hard drives. Most manufacturers have these available for download. You may find, for example, that the Maxtor Power Max will test other makes, Hitachi do Drive Fitness Test and Western Digital do Data Lifeguard. All these programs are easy to find if you look and all you need is a floppy drive and a floppy disk.

The other thing that is very useful is a USB to IDE cable, with power supply. I have found this invaluable for testing and offloading data from suspect hard drives. Sometimes it is the only way to clear spyware or a virus as the drive will not run in a computer. There is now a USB to SATA unit available and I must remember to get one in case I ever need it. Of course you need another computer for this; you have a friend?
Community Veteran

Hi all

Well I downloaded sea tools but it found my 40GB HD wasn't playing ball instead of the main 80GB drive (which is the suspected faulty drive which Winblows boots from.

I've come somewhat to the end of my teather trying to fathom this one out. I'm sure it must be the 80GB drive because that is the one that the system runs from yet the 40GB is also doing strange things. I can't afford to replace either for a few months due to a impending house move so it looks like I'll have to rough it out for a while. I might take the 40GB out and test it in another machine. Not sure about the 80 as it's got all sorts of other things on it..