cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard disk corruption

cwinters
Grafter

Hard disk corruption

I have this 2nd NTFS hard disk (an IBM 120gb) on which I keep most of my data. Unfortunately it seems to have got interfered with by a recalcitrant piece of hardware/software. The end result is that, if I connect it up, XP refuses to boot - I can't even get into safe mode. The BIOS seems to recognise it though.

Anyone got any suggestions? - any hope of getting data off it?

TIA
Chris
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hard disk corruption

Have you tried a linux box?

I have this strange recollection that Knoppix Linux (which will boot and run off a single CD) will read NTFS drives.

I may be wrong but it could be worth following up. OOPS - I did follow it up and support is fairly lousy but it apparently will read NTFS although writing to them is REALLY NOT A GOOD THING TO TRY.

It may work 'though

Regards

Tim
N/A

Hard disk corruption

Am I reading this right? You have a second hard drive ie slave which is corrupt?

Are you saying you then make it master and it wont boot ? or are you saying XP wont boot if its down as slave?

try fdisk /mbr on it. Boot from a dos disk and have it as the only drive to do this.

There are several things you can do. Get partion magic or simliar and see if it can see the disk and let you shrink the partion. If so shrink it and then copy the partion so you have a copy before doing anything. You could try converting it to fat32 with PM.

You could try using check disk on it if you have it as a second drive.

Its down to money if the data is valuble then it can be recovered at a price but dont touch the disk if you are going to get professional help.
cwinters
Grafter

Hard disk corruption

Yes, the disk when plugged in as the slave stops the machine from booting. (After the Windows XP logo appears, after a few seconds it restarts.) I don't know if it's the bios shutting it down or windows (presumably the latter if it got that far).

How do I get the floppy to be the only drive - do you mean disable all other drives in the bios or reorder the boot order?
Is partition magic a dos program?

thanks. Chris
N/A

Hard disk corruption

have you tried loading xp in safe mode?
Have you tried the drive on a diffrent pc?
Have you tried it on a diffrent controller ie the second controller?
has this drive been in the pc all along or have you added it?
It could be the jumpers are wrong or that the 2 drives are not compatable(rare but it can happen)

I meant to boot dos with just the one fault hd and no other drives so you cant knaker the wrong drive by mistake.

PM does give you the option to make dos boot disks.

You need to work out if the drive is the problem or Xp. You can get a free program to read ntfs from http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

its free but only lets you read the drive. They have several utils that run from dos to check ntfs.

So just have the faulty drive installed on its own boot from dos and try these utils to see if you can read the drive. If you can then the drive is ok and its somthing funny with XP. If XP is finding it as a new device it may install it and reboot.

Does xp work ok on its own?

If you cant read the drive then it is likely its faulty. Some times the bios can get the setting wrong and screw the drive but if you get the settings the same it will be ok.
cwinters
Grafter

Hard disk corruption

Yes, failed in safe mode.
haven't got another machine to play with unfortunately (or rather where a friend is willing for me to add dead disks!).
I added the disk about a year ago shortly after I bought the machine and it worked OK until recently (before my pinnacle card I think did the damage). It has (or had) two partitions.
XP works fine without the slave attached. I would guess that XP is OK because (as part of the problem it being returned to base) Evesham returned it with a spanking new clean install on the master drive (which they also replaced).

XP can make Dos disks I believe - I meant I assume PM is a DOS rather than windows prog if I'm booting from dos.

That link looks excellent - NTFSDOS appears to be the one! I'll try it first to see if it can read the disk, and copy any I can onto floppies (assuming it lets me do this?). Or perhaps the NTrecover utility

rgds and thanks for the help. Off for a play on this and then later try the PM option.
Chris
N/A

Hard disk corruption

I assume you havent got a raid controller or some strange disk controller? Ths would cause problems if XP didnt have the drivers.

See how you go on with the ntfs dos if that can read it you could copy some of your data off.

Have you had the drive working since the reinstall?
cwinters
Grafter

Hard disk corruption

Brilliant!!! Cheesy I managed to get recent critical stuff off the drive, saving to various floppies. Thanks a bundle, you've saved me weeks of work.
(now got to work out how to get the big home video files off!)

You implied that if I could get files off, then the drive is OK and XP must be at fault. But I wondered whether the disk could be partially corrupted to explain what was going on, given I've had a clean install? (Perhaps the thing to do is find another PC to plug it into sometime.) Could there be jumpers or something wrongly set

to answer your other questions:
- bog standard athlon PC, asus m/bd, with normal eide disks
- when the PC went bad, I took the second HD out before sending it back to be repaired; when it came back it worked fine but not when I reconnected the slave disk. So no it didn't work since the reinstall.

rgds

Chris