Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Drive Help Please

Midville
Grafter

Hard Drive Help Please

A few questions if I may:

I have got master 1 x 80gb (30 for XP, 50 for progs)
I have got slave 1 x 80gb (40gb films + 20swap,20temp gb)

I have just brought a new drive 1 x 200gb, should this go as my slave and how would you split it up (2 x 100 gb Huh) ?

Also got an external caddy for my old 80gb can that go straight into this or do I need to format it as a single drive then stick it in?

Thanks in advance

Jason
5 REPLIES
N/A

Hard Drive Help Please

I'd use Norton Ghost to clone the 80gb with your XP install onto the 200GB, (this will take about 5-8 hours).
(This is the best way not to have to do a re-install).
The 200gb will need formatting first.
Then after you've formatted it and cloned the 80gb onto it, Use partition manager (either 6 or 8 ) to partition it into 2 x 100gb.
Then add the second 80gb as a slave and stick the original as an external drive.

If your gonna do a re-install of XP though, just do what you were thinking of doing in your post, though!
N/A

Hard Drive Help Please

You dont need to format it if you use ghost as it will do it for you. It should not take very long 1 hour tops. It wil give you the opertunity to resize the partions as it goes.

The new drive is best for your system drive as it will all most certainly be faster being new.
Midville
Grafter

Hard Drive Help Please

Thanks for your help.
N/A

Hard Drive Help Please

it would probably be quicker and better in the long run to re-install, unless you don't mind waiting 5-8 hours. Also consider that a fresh install will be more stable in the long run and would probably only take 2 hours.

But remember to keep the old hard drive files for a while, you never know, you might forget something Smiley
N/A

Hard Drive Help Please

Other than using norton ghost... if you use partition magic that will create the different partions for you befor formatting and will do it automaticaly. or you can use the inbuilt windows software to change the partions... but i would recomend partion magic as it a much easy and simple way to move and adjust your drives at any time

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Double posting removed.