cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Drive Erase

conductivity333
Grafter

Hard Drive Erase

have been offered old labtop free subject to erasing ALL hard drive of prevous owner.
Please advise where i can download this facility.
5 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Hard Drive Erase

You can use any windows boot disk and run the format C: command at the A: prompt

If you dont have one download a win 98 disk etc from Here
Rich
Grafter

Hard Drive Erase

You can use any windows boot disk and run the format C: command at the A: prompt

Please note: The above WILL NOT securely erase the data from the hard disk. Most files can be successfully retrieved after a format, using freely available tools.

There are many tools available to securely erase a hard drive - try Googling 'secure erase' for some free options.
holdtight
Grafter

Hard Drive Erase

Yes that is so but i get the impression from the op that its not an ex MI5 laptop or similar and if he doesnt even know what to use to wipe a drive then he`s hardly going to be looking into data retrieval is he so its irrelevent really isnt it
N/A

Hard Drive Erase

Please note: The above WILL NOT securely erase the data from the hard disk. Most files can be successfully retrieved after a format, using freely available tools.

Made me chuckle :lol:
N/A

Hard Drive Erase

Download a copy of a program called Dban from http://dban.sourceforge.net/.

That program (bootable cd) will securely erase a hdd using a variety of methods including DoD approved methods...