cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPT370 RAID: Device did not respond within the timeout perio

gosforth
Grafter

I have an Abit KT7A Raid motherboard with the Highpoint HPT370 raid built in. My machine crashes periodically. The error in the event viewer is "The device \Device\Scsi\HPT3xxNT1 did not respond within the timeout period". The driver is the latest release. I have reinstalled the driver, but the problem continues.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Chris
12 REPLIES
N/A

HPT370 Raid

what o/s are you using

Am using Redhat 7.2 Linux without any problems, this is on broadband using router. did have a few when using standard modem though

Harry.g
gosforth
Grafter

Thanks for your post. I am using Windows 2000 Professional. I would also like to use RedHat, but I haven't managed to get the drivers for my Dynamode A360 modem yet. Since my post I have downloaded a tweaking program and increased the time out by 50%, but the problem is still recurring. It happens about once a day on average.

Chris
N/A

Presume you have tried dynamode website

http://www.dynamode.co.il/

Have just dowloaded pdf version of Manual

In their download listing it shows drivers (7meg)

harry.g
N/A

It is down to some timing issues on the hard drive it could be the wrong cable cross talk on the cable or a udma problem.

Try turning off dma for the drive an see if this cures it. Does it only crash when you are doing a certain task? If its a dma conflict it could only trigger when something uses the dma channel
gosforth
Grafter

I'm not quite sure how to investigate the DMA. I have IBM disks and have a 'Fitness Test' program which I will try. On my control panel I have a HighPoint 'HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID' controller under 'SCSI and RAID controllers'. I separately have 'IC35L060 AVER07-0 SCSI Disk Device' under 'disk drives' neither lets me set DMA.

The machine usually reboots itself at random about once a day, usually when I am not using it! One thing that might be relevant is the fact that I updated my BIOS and the HPT driver about a month ago. I did not have these problems prior to the update. However, the most recent update was about a year old which presumably means that it is a stable release?

I would be grateful for any more ideas that you have.

Many thanks,
Chris
gosforth
Grafter

Harry,
Thanks for the link to the Dynamode site. They have updated it since last time I looked (although it is still pretty clunky), but there are no Linux drivers. I have looked at the hardward compatibility listing on the RedHat site and Dynamode are not even listed!

Chris
N/A

I am using a Zoom (Hayes) X3 router/firewall/modem this does not need drivers for Linux.

At present it is connected directly to a Windows 98 machine while I am sorting out my network.

If you have a second machine, fairly low spec.with a USB port you might try installing say RedHat Linux 7.2 or above, these versions may probably identify both your USB and Modem without the need for drivers.

Harry.g
N/A

setting the dma is done via control panel/device manager and then on the primary and secondery contoller not on the main ide.

Its under advanced settings normaly set to 4 or 5 for hd and 2 for cd. try droping it down
gosforth
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. The DMA settings only appear to be available for IDE drives and not my RAID drive. The drives attached to the RAID controller are actually IDE (IBM) drives.

Chris
N/A

I had the same problem, I worked out that my power supply was overloaded with devices. I got a bigger PSU and have'nt had the problem since. Hope htis helps?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had the same problem, I worked out that my power supply was overloaded with devices. I got a bigger PSU and have'nt had the problem since. Hope htis helps?

same-ish here, I had a splitter on my HD power cabling for 2 fans and occasionally would get that error. Not had it since moving the fans power on to my CD drive power.

NB this was with a 400watt PSU, atm using backup 300watt after it died in a storm.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
gosforth
Grafter

I have reinstalled the operating system and the problem has gone away. I already have a 400W power supply as my 300W supply gave up the ghost last year!

Chris