cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! accidentlly formatted XP raid array

N/A

While installing sabayon linux on an extra hard drive i accidently wiped my windows xp raid array with all my stuff on it!
i have installed sabayon before a couple of times (due to fubaring the installation) and the array gave it boot trouble so i removed it the last time then reinstalled and then replaced it. This morning (while still quite sleepy) i forgot to do that. So when it asked me to format sda1 as its partition table was unreadable i forgot that it was actually my xp installation and clicked ok, only to immediately realise what i had done

Is there any way i can recover this? Cry
4 REPLIES
N/A

There's lots of software that can recover data from accidentally formatted drives. I haven't really tried any so I'm not in a position to recommend it, nor to assess the impact attempting to do so across a RAID so I'll leave someone else to answer that part of the question.

Did sabayon complete the format/installation or did you abort when you realised.
N/A

i aborted as soon as i realised, literally click OMG, clicked quit but the damage was done. It was my own fault as it does display a very clear warning.
yeah theres loads of programs out there but if anyone can recommend one i'd be gratefull
i've installed xp on the spare hard drive so hopefully i'll be able to work from there
N/A

got it sorted
all the data was still intact it was just the partition table that got formatted
this expensive but excellent piece of software sorted it in a jiffy http://www.ptdd.com/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Glad to hear you got it sorted - Even if you did have to pay...

There's lots of free software out there which claims to recover lost data and they are all useless (I should know, I've left several of them trawling though my HD for days after accidentally installing a boot loader on the wrong partition).

Surprisingly these free software companies always have a professional paid recovery service which the software highly recommends when it can find data but not recover it!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!