cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP DVD-R/RW

N/A

HELP DVD-R/RW

Hi i bought some blank DVD'S so i could record on them, but my dvd rw did not reconise that there was a disc in the drive so i email the web where i got the DVD's from and they sent an email attachment syaing to update the firmware,so i did that, but it did not install all of the update ,so now all the drive is donig is that the light at the frunt of the DVD drive is flashing and the draw will not open,when i go into devise mannager in stead of it saying NEC ND 1300A wich the drive is, it is saying NEC 1100A is the drive dead or is there something i could do please help as i have very little hair left.......

Moderators note (John) Bolding removed as it makes it hard to read.
23 REPLIES
N/A

HELP DVD-R/RW

What version of the firmware did you (try to) flash it with, where did you download it from and can you recount the precise sequence of events during the flashing process? Were there any errors during the flashing?
N/A

HELP DVD-R/RW

Firstly thanks for your reply Sterndale,right the version was 1.07 to replace 1.05 firmware.When it was an email attachment from the company where i bought the dvd's from.It said to install wich i did but about three quarters through it just said Error in installing.so i closed out of every thing and restarted the computer,and when it was restarting the light on the dvd drive was still flashing and the draw will not open.
Community Veteran

HELP DVD-R/RW

If the flashing failed and the drive has no recovery method the chances are the drive has now become unusable. A flash failure is often terminal.

I would check the manufacturers website to see if there is any recovery software available to recover from a failed flash condition. Failing that an email to their support dept is in order to see what options you may have to recover the functionality on your drive.

Also see if the manufacturer has a support website or forum as that is the most likely place to get assistance.
Community Veteran

HELP DVD-R/RW

In addition (having read your first post again), are you sure you used the correct firmware as it sounds like you may have tried to flash the firmware for the 1100A drive instead of the 1300A. From what I can find, the lastest 1300A firmware is 1.0B as detailed here.

You could try downloading the firmware from that link (1.0B) and try flashing it again - but read the readme first as it suggests.

Also what was the name of the file you upgraded the firmware with?

[append]

this thread suggests trying to reflash with the DOS verson of the flash software. May work.

This thread suggests the same and they were able to recover the drive.

[append2]

Looks like your problem is happening to others as well: See this thread.

All the above links came from here.
N/A

HELP DVD-R/RW

No i am not sure if the firmware was the right one i just downloaded it as it was from where i bought the dvd's from,so i thought that they must now what they was doing (obviously not).But i will go and try doing what you have suggested,many thanks i will let you now.
N/A

HELP DVD-R/RW

Right, i have just tried to do that but it is saying target drive is not found?
Community Veteran

HELP DVD-R/RW

If windows or DOS does not recognise the drive there is no way to flash it again.

Does the BIOS see it?

You may also need a DOS driver to be able to see the drive under dos, but I would have thought the DOS flash boot disk would have this.
N/A

HELP DVD-R/RW

Where do i get the dos disk?and would i see the bios on start up?i tryed to go on the web but there was errors on that as well so i could not get the dos .zip
N/A

HELP DVD-R/RW

You can get a DOS boot disk from www.bootdisk.com, if you don't know how to make one in Windows. However, I think Peter was referring to the DOS boot disk which is commonly used to flash drives and suchlike. The details vary for almost every manufacturer, and more recent flash utilities have been Windows only so this might not apply anyway.

When your PC boots, you should see a bunch of messages from the BIOS as it detects all the drives (including your hard drive(s)). If these scroll past too quickly, hit the Pause/Break key (above the Page Up key) to pause the boot process. Hit the space bar to resume. Look out for messages about primary and secondary drives and see if you can spot any messages about your DVD RW. If you hit the Delete key as soon as you turn the PC on, you should jump to the BIOS setup menus. One of these should list the devices that it can detect (I think - it's a long time since I went in here!).
N/A

HELP DVD-R/RW

I am still plugging at this i will go and try this one a mo thanks for your input many thanks for now hope to talk to you soon,after i have rebooted
N/A

HELP DVD-R/RW

right i have just done this and yes the bios did pick up a drive it picked up 1100A instead of the 1300A,so what do i have to do now ?
Community Veteran

HELP DVD-R/RW

Did you download the DOS firmware upgrade zip file from the link I gave?

Have you read he readme.txt file within the zip file? This explains how to create a DOS boot disk and explains to copy all the files in the zip file to it. When it is created as detailed you leave the floppy in the drive and reboot your system which should then try a flash the new firmware.
N/A

HELP DVD-R/RW

Hi back again right. I have a DOS drive but when i restart the computer it is telling me to take the media out of the drive and press any key to restart .the (DVD- R) drive is in the bios set up because i can see it but not the right one.
Community Veteran

HELP DVD-R/RW

What do you mean 'you have a DOS drive'? Do you mean you have created a DOS disk with the files on and you are trying to boot from it. If so, did you create the DOS disk as bootable? If not it will never boot and run the firmware upgrade app.

When you created the DOS disk did you format it and also tick 'create a DOS startup disk;. If not, reformat it again with that setting then copy the files from the zip file again and you should be able to boot from it.