Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDD woes

N/A

HDD woes

Hi all,

Any possible help grately appreciated.

I'm having a problem with XP on a HDD ......first drive works fine its running 98se. However, second drive as a slave running XP, Bios is picking it up, but 98se isn't on the first drive, so it looks to be running only one drive!

I've Fdisk and reformatted, but it keeps 'trying to recover the allocation unit' on slave hdd. The disk is a 40gb hdd but is only showing 30.12.71M, the friend who's computer it is had 98se on the slave, then upgraded to XP, without doing a clean install, any ideas?

witty
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

HDD woes

If you are in XP can you see the 98 harddisk without any problems?

Are you using the NTFS file system on the XP drive? If so 98 wont see it, but XP will see the 98 disk running FAT32.

Chris
N/A

HDD woes

FS,

Can't even get to see XP ....not sure what he's done .... .. he says he hasn't used NTFS but I think that maybe a possibility. So going to try and run 98se on it, do a recovery of allocation table and then a clean install of XP.

I've not come across this problem before, so running blind here.

thanks
witty
N/A

HDD woes

p.s.

I've just installed a new motherboard and power unit for him, apparently no conflicts.

thanks again
witty
N/A

HDD woes

If you boot from a win98 rescue disk and use fdisk can you see both the drives? If so what partions can you see, you should see a none dos partion if it has a ntfs partion
N/A

HDD woes

Thanks Mwright.

He had actually used Partition Magic but hadn't finished the the sequence. However, its all sorted now, thanks to the software on Seagates site.

LOL he says I'll have to install everything else for him :?

witty