cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics problems with new PC

N/A

Hi,

Bought a low cost pc the other day, well what i could afford anyways, the problem im getting is when i try and play any game its really slow and very jerky!, the specs are gfx card 32mb onboard, 256mb ram but 32mb goes to gfx card as its shared, cpu 1800mhz, what could be causin the games to be very slow and jerky as i thought 1800mhz was kinda reasonable.

Thanks. Wink

[Moderators note (by Thomas): This is a question about computers and hardware, so I've put it in the Computers and Hardware forum. I've made the title a bit more useful to people browsing the forum as well.]
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What is the PC? make/model etc, that way we can probably work out what onboard graphics chip is being used and if it's any good. Generally low cost usually means low performace in certain aspects (in order to save money) like graphics and memory speeds. Also what Windows version are you running?

What games are you playing and have you checked the min spec for them. Often now-a-days the min graphics memory is 64Megs for good performance and good 3D processing, if the on-board graphics does not have 3D hardware processing it has to be done in software so will be very slow. Also some graphics chips may not be recognised by the games software so may not be using 3D hardware accelleration. There may be options within the game to change this.

Also the memory you are left with (224Megs) may also be causing the slowdown in the games.

In other words there are many reasons for games running slowly and not enough info to determin where the problem is yet.
N/A

It is a custom built computer, the gfx card is S3 graphics ProsavageDDR 32mb shared with RAM, games trying to play inc (Tomb Raider) latest one, enemy territory. not tryed anymore as i have had no luck with these. memory is PC2100 i think but i am gonna upgrade the ram to 512 and the gfx card soon just want to know if this will solve my prob!.

Windows XP

Thanks, Wink
Community Veteran

Does the motherboard have a AGP slot? If not, you can't upgrade the graphics unless you go for a PCI graphics card and they are getting very rare now.

Have you tried installing the latest drivers drivers for your graphics chip - http://www.s3graphics.com/drivers.html

What resolutions are you playing the games with - try a lower res and maybe 16bit colours and see if it speeds up. The chip does have 2D & 3D hardware acceleration so it should work for lower resolutions at least.
N/A

Yeah the board does have a AGP slot 2x/4x i wanted to buy a 8x graphics card, would it be worth changing the entire board just to go for a 8x board? yeah i just read it has 2D/3D acceleration so sounds ok.

Thanks, Wink
Community Veteran

An 8x AGP card will work in a 4x AGP slot so you don't have to worry about that.

I think it's the graphics memory that is the limiting factor as todays games require a lot of ram (64/128Megs). If you do intend to upgrade your graphics, go for something like an ATI 9500/9600 based board or a Nvidia FX5200 both can be found for about 40->70, if your prepared to pay a bit more then the higher spec versions (ATI 9700/9800 or Nvidia FX5600/5700) are the ones to go for.

Try the updated drivers first before you decide.
N/A

Never really gone for an ATI card, ive always used Nvidia base cards like the gforce 2 64mb etc, if i bought a Ati Radeon 9600 128mb Graphics Card, would that be ok for games like unreal tournament 2004, latest splinter cell, far cry, i think you get my drift mainly the latest games??

Thanks, Wink