cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics drivers

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Graphics drivers

My son got a CD ROM as a birthday present, but can't get it to run. Ran diagnostics and the supplier has told me I have no Graphics Drivers. Begs the question if I have a graphics card even. I can watch DVD's etc, but is that enough. How can I check if the PC has a Graphics card? Device Manager? And if so, will it be called a graphics card?
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Graphics drivers

Which CD rom are we talking about.
If its a game does it need DX9 and does the graphics card or on board chip support it
Edit - if you want to find what version of direct X you have
select start/run and type dxdiag in the box.
On the system page (normally the one which comes up first) at the bottom it will tell you what you have
N/A

Graphics drivers

Thats what your looking for ^

As hotlane said we really need you to look at the side of the games box and quote the minimum and recommended specifications required for the game.

Also telling us what appears in the Display Adapters box (as above picture) so we know what graphics unit is being used in your system currently.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Graphics drivers

Thanks for the replies Folks.

First chance I have been able to check out the tips.

For the game I need "Any 32MB DirectX 9.0 compatible graphices card". Guess this is the DX9 you refer to.

On my main PC I guess I have no graphics card. In device manager I have no Display adaptors option. I have an older PC. This one has a card - SiS300/305/630/540/730. Any good?

What's the recommendations on Graphics card. I'm not a 'gamer' so just want something for the kids. And where to buy? Would you use ebay?
Community Veteran

Graphics drivers

I suspect you have what is called on-board graphics, where the graphics chip is on the main motherboard (where the processor and memory are fitted) rather then a separate card.

However, some PCs with on-board graphics can't be fitted with another graphics card because they don't have an AGP slot (a connector on the motherboard designed to plug a graphics card into). This was usually done to save money in the manufacture and thus allow the PC to be sold cheaper.

Do you have the make/model of your PC as we can then probably tell you if you can fit a graphics card into it. If you can't you have 2 options: 1) buy a new PC or 2) don't run the game or any of the more recent releases.

As for what to use (assuming you ccan fit a grpahcs card), this really depends on how much you want to spend. You can spend between £20 and £300+. If you give me an idea of the price I can recommend something.

For the basic product look for an AGP graphics card based on the Nvidia FX5200/FX5500 graphics processor, which you should be able to get for around £30
Ebuyer examples.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Graphics drivers

The PC is a non brand bargin basement machine. AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.66 GHz. Came with 256M of memory which I have upgraded to 736M. Is there a way to find out the mother board properties?

Thanks for the advice on the cards. I would look to only a cheapie!
Community Veteran

Graphics drivers

Can you advise the game.
If it is the new Sims then I have found that the Radeon 9550 for about £40 works OK
I am not sure if this will help but this tool may identify the motherboard make
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Fromshop/mb/det.htm
However your best bet is to take the side of the case and see if you can see a make/model number on the motherboard.
Also if you look inside you should be able to see if there is an AGP card slot.
I am not trying to teach my granny to suck eggs but if you aren't familiar with AGP slots this may help.
This won't be your board http://www.epox.nl/products/view.php?product_id=275 but if you look at the image the vertical purple slot between the EpoX fan and the pci slots is the AGP slot. Note the white catch at the bottom. This is the AGP slot.
The only thing I am not sure about is whether your board supports 8x AGP or only 4x which is one reason for going for the 9550 as it supports 4x and 8X
N/A

Graphics drivers

Another program to find our your motherboard details is this one:

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-133.zip

Just open the zip file, double-click the cpuz.exe and then click the "mainboard" tab at the top of the window that opens.

It should display the Manufacturer and Model Number - these are the two values we would require to be told for us to tell you whether you have an AGP/PCI-E port capable of a graphics card upgrade.
Community Veteran

Graphics drivers

I will be interesting to see if it does give the information as with my EpoX board it only says it is a Nforce model but it does identify the graphics interface
N/A

Graphics drivers

Aye sometimes the details are sketchy but aslong as I can see the chipset or model number then it is easy to identify what it is and what it supports.

My Epox board displays this:

Most of them have slightly changing names because the chipsets are different for each type of board.

For example nForce 410 rather than 4 has onboard graphics. I guess we will just have to see what is replied Wink

Even from the date of the bios you could narrow down your search from just knowing the date of that and the manufacturer. I know its not the best and most effiecient way but it is possible.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Graphics drivers

Here is what I got (Hope the image posting works!)

Community Veteran

Graphics drivers

Picture is fine. But can you select "mainboard" and then re-submit so that we can see which board you have.
@phearfactor - interesting but it doesn't recognise my EpoX 8KDA3J (socket 754 board) at all but Everest Home Edition does.
For information I have found Everest Home Edition to be more useful and although it has now been withdrawn it can still be downloaded from http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=176
N/A

Graphics drivers

Everest is much better but I could never find a link for it - so thanks for that Wink
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Graphics drivers

Doh!

So impressed with posting the picture, did not read which tab.

Try this..............

N/A

Graphics drivers

Thats an Aopen vKM400Am-s

http://global.aopen.com.tw/Products/mb/vkm400am-s.htm

Just to confirm - go to the above link and make sure the image displayed looks like your motherboard. (Just take the left side panel off the case and peer inside, then put the panel back on)

Your specifically looking for the purple and white slot pictured in the centre of the motherboard. This is the AGP 8x slot.

If you can confirm that the board is identical then hopefully hotlane can offer you some more information on the best budget AGP 8x cards available for you.