cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics cards

Alan_Kennedy

Graphics cards

A few months ago my AGP graphics card failed and I ran around like a scalded cat to find a new one before withdrawal symptoms set in. Success story!
However I have an old PCI graphics card belonging to an old computer; if my graphics card fails again could I insert this old card as a temporary measure while I find a better price for a replacement - or could I leave it permanently installed as a back-up? I don't expect to play games on it!
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Graphics cards

Sure!
I used to have a duel head agp graphics card and a single head pci graphics card in the same machine some time ago. (Had a three monitor setup)

My needs changed and I only need a two monitor setup now, but certainly the old setup worked ok - even if the pci driven monitor responded sluggish etc in comparison.

TBH considering how quick it is to swap out cards, if I were you I would just keep the pci card in storage for such instances as you just experianced rather than leave it in all the time (it's just one less set of drivers etc to potentially cause conflicts / also doesn't use up system resources/IRQ's etc that way)
N/A

Graphics cards

Be careful here because most motherboards use INIT FIRST DISPLAY, meaning that either PCI or AGP or Onboard Graphics is first displayed. You might actually find that if there is a PCI card there and the motherboard uses INIT DISPLAY and finds the card, the AGP one will be disabled until either the INIT FIRST DISPLAY is changed to AGP or the PCI card is removed.

Although as seventh said there may work in tandam, it just depends on the motherboard and whether it will or will not disable AGP when a PCI graphics card is detected. Although I do know for certain that if the Init First Display was set to PCI, and you was hooked up to an AGP card and not the PCI card the monitor would not display a post screen.

So the only way for you too see the post screen would to have dual monitors, one for the PCI and one for the AGP. It would be simpler to just remove the PCI card as this will help you and the system. The machine will run cooler, faster and generally better without any unused PCI cards slotted in.