cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics card problem

the_groundsman
Grafter

Graphics card problem

Hi - this is not my area of expertise so be gentle please.

My Daughter loves the Sims 2 and for the machine my kids use it seems this is pushing things to the limit. I've upgraded the RAM so it now runs fast enough but there is a problem with the more recent releases if the SIMS2 (Seasons) The background doesnt disply correctly.

I bought a new graphics card as the PC a compaq S3150UK had an integrated graphics card. I went for the minimum spec required by the game of 32MB T&L what ever that means. IT is an ATI RAGE 128PRo. Windows found it straight away but would not install the drivers I downloaded from ATI. THe game however is just as badly displayed as ever. I see the RAge card is not on the required list of cards even though it seems to meet the min requirements

I suspect I was too cheap in my purchase from EBay so before I go and buy another, can you make any recommendations. I have a spare PCI slot and the RAGE thing is in my AGPx4 slot.

THe mother board says AGPx4 but the selection is limited forx4 will x8 be OK?

Is AGP preferable to PCI ( there is no PCI-E slot?

So far I've wasted £12.50 - not a kings ransom but I would like to get it right next time and not spend to much cash.

THanks for your help
6 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Graphics card problem

My guess is that this is related to the drivers not being installed. Without the correct drivers Windows is probably using a generic driver that is strangling the performance.

I would suggest you first go back the ATI website and download the driver again. Make sure you check whatever options are given, so you download the right driver for the card and the version of Windows.

If Windows still won't install it then tell us exactly what the error message is, if any, and we may be able to help in more detail.

PCI graphics cards are ancient history now! They were replaced by AGP, which is faster. PCI-E is a new standard which is starting to replace AGP, but, as you say, your PC does not have PCI-E.
Rich
Grafter

Graphics card problem

Did you uninstall the drivers for the original (integrated) graphics card before installing the ATI card?

There is a guide at http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html

and some tips at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=190203&messageID=2059518

Hope This Helps
Richard.
the_groundsman
Grafter

Graphics card problem

Thank you thank you

I did disable the previous driver. I did uninstall and reinstall but still to no avail.

I have checked the driver details and just in case I'm being ultra stupid tried some of the other drivers on the ATI site - none worked. Each time I deleted the directory created and started a fresh.

The message is a dialogue box headed up Severe with the following text.

INF error
Video driver not found

OK

Time to buy one from a proper shop with a cd with the drivers in the box and not downloading drivers for dodgy stuff from EBay!
Community Veteran

Graphics card problem

Hi

Did you go into the BIOS and change your initial display device to be AGP?

When you install the ATI driver, are you going to "Device manager" finding the ATI adaptor and then updating the driver from there?
the_groundsman
Grafter

Graphics card problem

Thanks

Yes I did go onto the Bios there are 2 options PCI or AGP/Onboard. As the card is AGP 4 I picked AGP/On board

I downloaded the ATI file and ran it as an .exe from my C:\ This is where it falls over once ive got past the licence and the splash screen in the installer.

I did try and update the driver only from device manager by manually updating the driver and navigating to ther files downloaded but no better driver could be found.

Going shopping for a GeForce 4 or 5 at the weekend!
GersFans
Grafter

Graphics card problem

I did try and update the driver only from device manager by manually updating the driver and navigating to ther files downloaded but no better driver could be found.

Force windows to use the driver:

Go to device manager and open the properties box and click update driver >

Don't let it connect to internet, choose No, not this time >

Install froma list or specified location >

Don't search, I will choose the driver to install >

Click on have disk >

Find the driver in your C: drive and use it!