cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics card installation problem

N/A

Right got me new graphics card 2 day and i cud not wait 4 the new motherboard. So installed it, it was working fine. Installed halo 4 pc was working fine. I was installing sum updates 4 halo pc then i went out of the room 4 a drink. Returned and the pc went off. I tried 2 turn it back on no go. Unpluged the damm thing no go took the graphics card nowt. But all day my dad has been turning the electric off cause of the new cooker being fitted but no 1 said 2 me the electric is going off. I only hope the motherboard if fucked. I currently using my spare pc. Any 1 no what cud of happend, hoepfully the new board is here 2 moro

Thanks

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Title changed to something a little more appropriate.]
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sounds like your power supply has died. When you switch it on, do any of the fans work? do any of the disk drives spin up. DOes your mobo have any lights which show if power is available.

Does the fan in the PSU go round?

Does the new graphics card require an extra power connector to be plugged into it? If so, your PSU may not have been powerful enough to handle the extra load that the graphics card required.

What rating is your PSU in Watts and what make is it (i.e. an OEM or a good brand).

This was one of the items I suggested you may need to check/change change in your other thread.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

could be the towers power supply is dodgy or just plain old, so sometimes if the Breaker trips on my electricty supply my old server pc won't power up until:

1. turn the tower power Off at the main switch on the back of the case.
2. press the front case power button On once

Then switch on at the back and press the power button it should work again.

But usually if using windows 2000 or XP its not that big a deal if the power goes off as the hardrive is protected if using NTFS with its built in redundancy, unless of course if you are using Fat32 for each of your Hradrives then yes it can cause problems.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Yeah i no mate. Erh maxium volts i no and thats 230v. I think i heard things trying 2 spin around ie fan but nothing. Currently i took it all 2 bits as the new board is here 2moro. Were can i find big powersurpplys then ie 550 watts. And yes i had 2 plug in another cable off the graphics card 2 give it extra power
N/A

N/A

thanks damm things piss me off.
N/A

Beware with cheap power supplies, you buy exactly what you pay for.

600W is it's maximum rating. That does not mean it is able to sustain 600w for more than a millisecond. Advertising laws do not prevent them from doing this.
N/A

Accar cau surgest place 4 me 2 get one being able 2 surport the 9800 pro ati. Plz yall help i am a newb lol
N/A

Anywhere that has good brands, and provides good customer service and price.

Rule of thumb. Don't buy home badged products. They are the cheap ones rebadged. Stickers cost money, so you can imagine how cheaper the power supply actualy was.

Take a look at Overclockers UK at the Antec, Globalwin, Zalman, Q-tec and OCZ PSU units.

Then shop around on kelkoo and Pricerunner for thre cheapest.

Then look at Doo yoo for reviewes on the hardware (where available) and even the shops.
N/A

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=965956193&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&...

Q-tec 450W dual Fan. £19.97

I have the above psu in my pc (specs below) and have had no problems.

Asus A7N8X v2 deluxe
2 x 120GB HD
52 Cd-Rom
4x Dvd Rewriter
Ati9800 Pro 128MB
N/A

Thats grt guys i cant spend 2 much and i have already so 20 quid ish is great. Sorry plus net 4 the swearing. Just hate it when things go wrong.

Thanks all