cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Card replacement - help please!

N/A

I'm sure that for someone who knows, this is a very easy question. I'm fixing a computer that is believed to have a knackered graphics card. It was overheating after the fan went. Now, I've not got access to the computer right now, but I have the graphics card and a budget of around 150-200 quid.

The computer is a Medion, and the graphics card is a Medion Radeon 9800XXL. There's a picture here. http://www.elsfield.plus.com/radeon/radeon9800.jpg
What sort of graphics card to I need to get so that it fits in the slot and works? I'm a little confused with all the pci/agp etc.

Thank you!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

i recently asked a very similar questions, you might want to read some of hte advice i got as it was very helpful: linky

I am in the process of ordering the 6600 card mentioned which looks like its good value
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

My best guess is that is a Radeon 9800pro built by MSI and supplied to Medion as an OEM product. See this link As such it is definitely an AGP card and although you may not be able to get a direct replacement there are many options which are as good or better at around £100
Edit - just seen the post above. If you are looking at an equivalent to your present card in the Nvidia range you should look at the 6600GT as a minimum
N/A

Brilliant, thank you. So I'll be pretty safe getting any sort of graphics card so long as it's agp? The owner does like to play the odd game. I think his preference is Command and Conquer, though not being a gamer myselft, I'm not positive. While we're in the business of replacing it, we may as well upgrade a little. I can't seem to find much more than the Nvidia 256MB Geforce 6600GT AGP Graphics Card. What would be better? Thanks.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

I appreciate that this isn't your computer and that the owner doesn't appear to have any serious budget limitations but for Command and Conquer the 6600GT is more than adequate.
As an added comment I have a 9800pro and it runs Quake4, Half Life 2 and Doom 3 quite well and the 6600GT is better and supports shader 3. Note that any improvement he would see by going up to a 7800 graphics card would probably be limited by the cpu (I think it is a P4 on that brand)
N/A

Great, that'll do nicely then. Thanks hotlane and strathbungo for your help, I'll be back if it all goes wrong!

Google is great, but it's no substitute for asking someone who knows... Cheesy