cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Card & Upgrade

N/A

Graphics Card & Upgrade

i wonder if anyone can help:

I am currently looking to build a PC... I will probably go for the following spec:
A7N8X Deluxe MB
1gb 2700 DDR RAM
120GB HDD
2500+ Barton

BUT: What graphics card should i get to compliment this - i am looking around the £100 mark.

Reviews / opinions will be welcome as i have already looked at many sites (e.g. toms hardware etc..) and am still a little unsure ...

Thanks,
Chris
24 REPLIES
N/A

Graphics Card & Upgrade

The first thig to decided is what the pc is going ton be used for.

If its just WP and accounts then you dont need anything much.

If you want to play the latest games watch dvd then its a diffrent story.

If you let us know what you are using it for we can tell you better.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Graphics Card & Upgrade

Half your ram unless you plan on number crunching and put what you save in to the Video Card. As £100 wont get you much of a good long term card, maybe a good basic GF4Ti4200 or ATI 9500. Steer clear of the FX's especially the 5200's there no better than MX460's.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Graphics Card & Upgrade

You really want to try and aim for a 128mb model GF4. Probably a 4400 or a 4600 will do you fine for some time. You might have to spend a bit more but prices are coming down fast now.
N/A

Graphics Card & Upgrade

really will jsut be using it for a bit of games - probably not the latest, some VR and rendering in Studio Max and remaining use will just be web based, creating sites etc...

will have a look into the ideas suggested above too ...

Cheers
N/A

Graphics Card & Upgrade

If you go for maybe £50 more (could afford this with less RAM unless its needed), an ATi Radeon 9500Pro would be a good card. It will be up to date for a while (until the next DX comes out as it is DX9 compatible), and it will handle all day to day programs fine and will run games pretty well also.
I have one and it is all I will need for a while...

Sites that sell computer bits and bobs:
www.eclipse-computers.com
www.ebuyer.co.uk
www.stak.com
www.microdirect.co.uk

ebuyer is IMO the best and cheapest supplier

Hope this is helpful
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Graphics Card & Upgrade

As long as what you get from Ebuyer works, there's not a problem.

Their customer support is terrible, and returns/faults policy is a nightmare.

Have a search round some message boards and they don't rate very highly.
Community Veteran

Graphics Card & Upgrade

I've certainly had some probs with Ebuyer, but last time I ordered something it came before I expected and they do seem to have improved lately.

Chris
N/A

ebuyer

I have had difficulties with ebuyer in actually getting information on products, i.e specs etc, as their customer support people (who apparently do exist) hardly ever reply to any query.

However, delivery has always been fine for me, and I haven't had to send anything back.

Agreeing with other posts in this thread and from what you have said, a geforce 4 Ti 4400/4600 model would be more than enough, but it is no longer a card that can future-proof your system.
N/A

Graphics Card & Upgrade

Nothing can "future proof" your system. All any hardware purchase can do is delay your need to upgrade.
Remember when the Voodoo 3 was the latest thing since bread !!!
Is another 3 fps that important Huh?

I get my stuff from Scan - as good/bad as anyone else but unlike ebuyer actually have a physical show room and sales counter (also Microdirect)
N/A

future proofing

I accept that nothing can future proof a computer system hardware-wise, simply because I am aware of how quickly all of the components are evolving in todays society.

I may not have been clear in what I was saying; I meant that the GF4 Ti series is now out of date, and that a newer card would be better (for the time being). If a person wishes to always have an up to date graphics card, several hundred quid several times a year would be needed.

The GF4 Ti series would be fine for what chris wants now, but in a couple of months the card will be worth zilch, and with the way games and programs alike are becoming more and more graphically dependant, it would be an unsuitabl card in the long term.

Steven
N/A

Re: future proofing

I also egree, a geforce4 Ti model is probably good value for money if you do not want to spend an arm and a leg, and no graphics card can future-proof your system.
N/A

Graphics Card & Upgrade

hi, i just got a 128mb gf4 ti4600 a few weeks ago and its brill Cheesy....was going to get a fx but they r not that good (except the 5900...and not many ppl have that kind of money)
N/A

Graphics Card & Upgrade

That was a bit stupid buying a GF4, they aren't Direct X 9 compatible so when it comes to the likes of Doom 3 and Half Life 2 you won't be able to run them at their max. To answer the orginial question, cut your RAM to 512, maybe get Corsair (don't get the Dual Channel Twin X RAM it's very expensive). Also buy a bad ass cooler for that 2500+ because the bartons can be niceley overclocked, I'm running practically the same as what you are gonna buy and I've got my 2500 running at 2.2 GHz instead of 1.8 GHz at 48 degrees with games and SETI running. Make sure your Hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar with the 8 MB buffer, they are the fastest IDE drives in the world, DO NOT buy an IBM hard drive they don't even last 6 months, we went through 2 in 7 months. You should look to spend the money saved by getting 512 mb RAM on something like a Radeon 9500 or 9600 to stay uptodate and run DX9 games. Also the Sapphire 9500 is very good for overclocking i've got it at 360 MHz for the GPU and 310 MHz for the RAM without even changing a thing on the card and it runs great!
N/A

Graphics Card & Upgrade

Western Digital Caviar with the 8 MB buffer

I have to say here, that I am constantly replacing these drives.

I will admit, the IBM are just as bad, however, my record stands at 1 less IBM replaced in the past 12 months (though I am sure it can catch up easily).