cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Card Advice

Community Veteran

Graphics Card Advice

Ok just built my new pc except I am using the onboard graphics (geforce 6100 with a 430 southbridge) I want to use a graphics card like i have always done except I aint been keeping up on the latest cards, that and I don't really do anything too graphic intensive except the odd video rendering and photo editing.

Saw one which is only £40 and it seems quite good but I wanted to know what you guys thought, I know I will probably be laughed at (like i was in the computer shop when I said i had a Geforce MX4000! Shockedops: ) but like I said I don't do anything that needs a £300 card.

The one I saw is the GeForce 6200 with TurboCache on PCI-e

Edit: Rest of my system is:
AMD 64 3500+
Gigabyte - GA-K8N51GMF-9
2 SATA HDs
1gb ram (PC3200)
PCI Express x 16

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Graphics Card Advice

What is the rest of the system - CPU and memory
Community Veteran

Graphics Card Advice

updated above!
Community Veteran

Graphics Card Advice

No point spoiling your system with a low grade graphics card. I would plump for a Geforce 6600 GT based card at around £100 which would mean you could play some decent games if it takes your fancy and also not have to upgrade the graphics in a year or twos time.
Community Veteran

Graphics Card Advice

its also a money factor as well! building this on my student loan, I can afford it but I just can't justify it when i never play games or anything like that, I know for my system its a low graphics card
Community Veteran

Graphics Card Advice

That is one hell of a system.
Whatever economical graphics card you put in there will be swamped.
I suppose it really depends what you want to do with it but I would suggest as a start having a look at this review and you will see that the Radeon X550 is much better.
Looking at this site you can get this card for only a bit more than the 6200TC and it has 256MB ram.
This is the minimum you should consider but if you want to play any modern games I would personally go up to the next price bracket of the 6600 etc.
Community Veteran

Graphics Card Advice

Go a little higher with a 6600LE based card then, around £50+VAT

Examples here

Even the 7300GS model listed above would be better
Community Veteran

Graphics Card Advice

the 7300GS looks like a better card, now i got so many options! Cry
Community Veteran

Graphics Card Advice

Now if you would decide you want to max out your system and play Quake4, F.E.A.R, Doom 3 or Half Life 2 then the decision is easy but expensive.
As you don't then the question is what will you do that will stretch your graphics card which is not gaming. The only things I can think of is photomanipulation or 3D CAD.
If you are doing either of these you need to look at the memory bandwidth capability of the graphics card. This is an area which I haven't looked at but the 7300GS may not be the right choice as it only has a 64 bit memory bus which could slow things down quite a bit
Community Veteran

Graphics Card Advice

its oh so confusing! I think I will go with the 6600, seems like a good card! Thanks very much for all your help, graphics cards is the one area that I don't really look into much but i think i will need to start! Cheers!
N/A

Graphics Card Advice

I have the 6600gt in the SFF, and by god I am impressed, I hate nvidia, well used to, its a cracking card, will play BF2 at 1024res with all the settings on MAX, not a bad piece of bang for your buck!