cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good deal on NIS

RobDickson
Grafter

Good deal on NIS

I don't know whether this is the correct forum to use, but I thought people would like to know that know that Amazon has a good offer on for Norton Internet Security:

Good offer for NIS
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Good deal on NIS

perfect for the computer user who finds their machine too hot to handle and wants to reduce its performance by half :twisted:
RobDickson
Grafter

Good deal on NIS

Although the 2007 version is supposed to be much less resource hungry than previous versions.
Denzil
Grafter

Good deal on NIS

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Besides why pay when there is good free software available (AVG etc)?
N/A

Good deal on NIS

The thing is, the original post was not to advise about the suitability or not of Norton, just to give info on a good deal. Robdickson should be thanked.
Community Veteran

Good deal on NIS

Not unreasonable however to extend the thread to a discussion of the suitability of the product, in case someone who is unfamiliar with the market were tempted to make a choice solely on price Wink
N/A

Good deal on NIS

I agree, just that I thought the comments were over critical and could be construed that anyone even contemplateing useing Norton are to be ignored. Norton are still selling product so they are getting something right. Oh, I use AVG after my 2006 edition of McAffee is no good for Vista
GersFans
Grafter

Good deal on NIS

Robdickson should be thanked.

Or maybe he was just looking for clicks to his website, otherwise he could have linked to the amazon page directly..:roll:

As for Norton products, i wouldn't use them for all the tea in china.
RobDickson
Grafter

Good deal on NIS

True, I could have linked directly to the Amazon page, but I didn't think that there was anything wrong with maybe getting a quid or two from Amazon Affiliates at the same time as pointing out a good deal.

The AVG Free version is only available personal users, so my post was aimed at two groups of people:

1) Business users who don't want to use illegal software.
2) Home users who, quite understandably, don't like the idea of using free software for something as important as virus protection.

I think that £11.50 for combined virus protection, firewall, spam filter, and spyware scanner sounds like quite a good deal.

By the way, I'm not criticising your choice of using AVG, I just think there are probably quite a few people who feel more comfortable using paid-for software for something so important.
N/A

Good deal on NIS

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Besides why pay when there is good free software available (AVG etc)?

Here here, I got Zone alarm intenet security suite off the ZA website using Trial pay and it didn't cost mre a penny (normally around £20-£30i think) all I had to do was sign up to an offer (i used an ink suplly company and only paid P & P) and you get a fully paid for version, free...great value!

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp
Community Veteran

Good deal on NIS

i believe the idea that paid-for software is somehow "better" (safer, more reliable, fully supported etc) than free or open-source software has become much, much harder to justify these days.
RobDickson
Grafter

Good deal on NIS

I agree that open-source and free software is very good.

Unfortunately, the free version of AVG isn't an option for me, so paying £11.50 for a full suite of programs sounds good.
Community Veteran

Good deal on NIS

you get a fully paid for version, free...great value!

I guess that's free for the first year?
What about updates and upgrades? Do you then have to pay a subscription?
N/A

Good deal on NIS

Do I detect the 'click' police? gersfans asks if the purpose of robdickson's post was to generate clicks for his site, an acusation made of me, by someone else on another of my posts - which was unfounded.
Denzil
Grafter

Good deal on NIS

The thing is, the original post was not to advise about the suitability or not of Norton, just to give info on a good deal. Robdickson should be thanked.

Indeed, thankyou to Rob for making us aware of the offer. Everyone is free to make their own choice of software - it should just be a well-informed choice.