cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going belly-up -- advice wanted on hardware

N/A

Something is obviously wrong here at my house, since my connection is so amazingly unstable. I am thinking the problem is with either the modem or one of the (two) filters, since I'm often disconnected if someone uses the phone. Sometimes tho, it just disconnects for no reason and the sync light doesn't stabilise.

The smart move would obviously be to buy some new filters -- I'm still using the old filters and alcatel speedtouch modem BT supplied me with several years back when I first went broadband.

But what filters should I get? I don't want to spend a lot of money if it isn't the filters that are the problem, I don't earn enough to be replacing hardware on a whim.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It does sound like filters or possibily some sort of cabling fault. Check the guide in the FAQ and Tutorials forum which may help you.

The most reliable filters are usually the Excelsus ones.

Chris
Community Veteran

I recommend the Excelsus Z-420UK-A Dynamic ADSL Microfilter or the XF-1e Professional ADSL Microfilter, especially if your using DECT phones which sometimes don't work (and cause disconnections) with the cheaper filters.

Any idea what your line attenuaton is?

Also what ADSL speed are you running at?

Can you connect direct to the master socket and see if the disconnections still occur. If so, try the test socket (behind the lower removable panel of the master socket) as this eliminates any other cabling in your house.

ADSL disconnecting when someone uses a phone may be a filter problem, but may also be a line fault.
Community Veteran

I've got two new and sealed in bag Excelsus filters for sale if you are interested. £10+postage Smiley
N/A

Any idea what your line attenuaton is?

Also what ADSL speed are you running at?

Can you connect direct to the master socket and see if the disconnections still occur. If so, try the test socket (behind the lower removable panel of the master socket) as this eliminates any other cabling in your house.

ADSL disconnecting when someone uses a phone may be a filter problem, but may also be a line fault.

I don't know how to find out my line attentuation, but I am on the standard 512k package, and my speed results (thanks to adslguide.org) are:
Downstream 469 Kbps (58.6 KB/sec) / 506 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec) / 262 Kbps (inc. overheads).

I will try plugging the modem into the master socket, but if only the modem is connected then the trouble will be waiting for it to disconnect randomly -- since the phones wont be plugged in to interfere with it, if someone calls. Or am I missing something?

Also, fa55dsl-- I would be interested in those filters you have, if you can link me to somewhere selling them new so I can read reviews, check the price, that sort of thing, before I commit to buying them, if that's alright?
Community Veteran

Peter's first link has some standard pricing and information and there is a fair bit on the net. I don't think it would be fair/unbiast for me to provide you with links though. If you do decide you are interested let me know by PM.

Chris
N/A

Having done some checks it seems that my problem is not the filters -- which are, incidentally, the excelsior ones that have been linked to and recommended here. Sadly, the problem instead seems to be a faulty extension, which is creating excessive noise on the line and so making my connection unstable.
Which is nice.