cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give me Win'98 over XP any day....

danep
Grafter

Win2k pro can be installed the same way XP can from scratch, ie boot to the CD and install....where's the problem in thisHuh

Also agreed, Win2k SP2/4 is by far more stable and better than XP. XP also has higher demands for hardware parameters,so you really have to be careful choosing them, as something that works perfectly well with 2K may not work with XP at all, memory being a prime example..

Regards
Dane
10 REPLIES
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Finaly replaced my old PC, including XP, believing i would get a more stable operating system - since ive had my new pc i get constant blue screen crashes 'Bugcode-usb-driver' (the microsoft site doesnt offer much support on this), remote assistance cannot be accessed (i dont mean using it, it wont even open!) & software installed on my log-on sometimes cannot be opened by other users or tells me there is an error (even though it shows as available to all users & they are all set to sys administrators). On top of that every time i click on programs it tells me there is new software installed - its been telling me that for days and never goes away!
My pc is a Dell & i have recently helped setup identical pc's for my father in law and work colleague, the annoying thing is they have not had any of the same problems. I think i will ditch XP & go back to my far more dependable Windows '98.

There, thats better, it feels good to get it off my chest...........
Community Veteran

Do you really mean an upgrade from Win98 or did you install XP from scratch using an upgrade CD?

It is always better to do a fresh install of XP because that way you know all the necessary drivers and apps are correct and up to date. Upgrading ontop of Win98 can cause issues such as yours because it tries to use some of the existing drivers which may not be XP compatible or conflict with other drivers.

Also did you remember to reinstall your motherboad chipset drivers and video drivers using the XP versions?

I have found XP (freshly installed) to be far superior, faster and more reliable/robust than Win98 ever was.
N/A

You poor thing, ipso facto XP is, contrary to your experiences, far more stable than 98. Did you install XP on your machine yourself, or did your Dell come pre-installed?
rja66
Rising Star

Xp came pre-installed on my new pc. Even utilitys such as the Dell driver reset tool does not spot any apparent driver errors. Im wondering if the 'Bugcode-usb-driver' crash is anything to do with using my usb modem (although this was fine with my old pc)
Dell appear to only be interested in supporting hardware problems.
I could go for a complete re-installation of Xp i guess......
N/A

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience of XP, but honestly it's much better and much more stable that Win98.

I think in this case, you may have to re-installed XP, and look for new usb drivers. I would also create a save point before installing the drivers, as you may be able to roll back in safe mode.
Actually you maybe able to roll back now, by booting into safe mode. Some drivers when they install, create a save point.
N/A

I concurr with the opinion that XP is better and more stable than W98, but I also think that Windows 2000 Pro is better and more robust than XP, the latter being a subset of the former.

Horror stories about W2K are few and far between, and you have to work really hard to make it crash.

When freezes occur, they are due (in my experience) to badly behaved software or poorly written drivers, rather than internal OS defects.

And I also agree that doing a fresh install is better than doing an upgrade, although if you want to go with W2K, you will have to install W95/98 first and then upgrade.
rja66
Rising Star

The only difference between my pc & my father-in-laws etc is the software, (games installed for my daughter etc) - how do i identify which driver may be causing the bugcode-usb-driver error?
I really do not wish to reinstall everything yet as i have only just configured my system to the way i want things.
N/A

I concurr with the opinion that XP is better and more stable than W98, but I also think that Windows 2000 Pro is better and more robust than XP, the latter being a subset of the former..

Yes, 2K is the really stable one but why is everyone saying that you cannot install it from scratch? I have done it on several PCs. Just experienced another Dell with virtualy the same symptoms with XP, that may be getting the 2K treatment next.
N/A

Oi Nivram, share your knowledge of installing W2K from scratch with us, please!!!
===
Bruno
N/A

XP is 200 times

more stable than W98, believe me, I do probably 50 installations a month, so I know a bit about it. The trouble is that you can install 5 PCs without a single problem, only to find that the next one refuses to work properly.

Repeated USB related, blue-screens crashes mean that there is something badly wrong with the USB departmant, probably the drivers you are using.

Last week I installed a Belkin USB PCI card and insted of using the drivers provided on the CD, I decided to install the very latest ones, from the website, only to get blue-screens crashes. Once I installed the older drivers on the provided CD, the fault disappeared.

If your PC is designed to run Win-XP, trying to install W2000 could mean that a lot of devices will not be working any more, because you'd be downgrading the software. It is also possible that Dell don't supply W2000 drivers for your motherboard, because W2000 is normally used by the corporate market and not by domestic users.