cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting email with a mobile

N/A

I've just bought a Motorola A920, an old 3g brick which I've got unlocked with an o2 card. I am using this with some success to surf the web, but I can't get it to connect to plus net and collect my mails even though I'm sure I've got everything configured ok with pop3,smtp etc.

Anyone done this with this phone or a similar one (a925, a1000 etc) or any unlocked 3g phone?
8 REPLIES
RobDickson
Grafter

Does PlusNet block e-mails when they're sent from a non PlusNet connection? You might have to use an O2 e-mail account.
N/A

I've never tried sending plusnet emails from another isp, but I know it's common to block this, so I can live with that. What I'm trying to do is RECEIVE emails. I shouldn't have thought not being connected using plus net would matter.

On your second point, can I get my plusnet mail forwarded to another a/c i.e. an o2 one?
LiamM
Grafter

I can receive emails without issues on my O2 XDA IIs.

Incoming mailserver is mail.plus.net, outgoing mail server is smtp.o2.co.uk, connecting using the O2 Mobile Web GPRS Setting.
N/A

re: martinfamily

That's what I'm doing too, except my outgoing settings are as for plusnet (relay.plus.net from memory).

I have my phone unlocked from 3G, but I am unable to install any apps (symbian or java) until I upgrade the firmware to that of an A925 phone (and I can't do this 'til I get a compatible USB cable). This might possibly be stopping me, but it has no effect on web surfing using GPRS except that I have to try and connect to an email a/c in order to get the phone to connect to O2 before I can get on the web.

Annoying how it doesn't seem to like https protocol either.
LiamM
Grafter

You're phone shouldn't be able to send email through relay.plus.net unless you are connected to Plusnet.
N/A

Thats fair enough about sending. When I started with plusnet I wasn't able to send emails with my old isp email even though I could still receive them, so I know that's common practice.

It's just receiving....
LiamM
Grafter

Things I can think of are :

Ensure you are using the correct username / password.

Ensure you are using mail.plus.net

Also, make sure you are using the "O2 Mobile Web" setting and not "O2 GPRS" as the latter will only allow you inside O2s network IIRC.
N/A

Thanks for your help so far. I'm using payandgo.02.co.uk as the address and 193.113.200.195 and 8080 as proxy and port.

I'm using postmaster@myname.plus.com and the right password with mail.plus.net. I can't get mail from an old eidosnet a/c either.